My 4-5 year quest

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Creative Edge, Jun 15, 2017.

1. This image took me about 5 years to create. There are less than 150 Florida Panthers in the wild. I was determined to photograph one and it had to be the image I saw in my mind. So with this thought I would go out to the Big Cypress Preserve almost every Saturday for about 4-5 years until I was able to get the shot I envisioned. I would set up a blind at about 4 in the morning, in the dark, in areas where I had previously scouted Panther tracks. Early one morning after setting up the blind and waiting, I heard the Ravens going crazy, usually the sign of a predator in the area. To my surprise a panther walked without making a sound through the Palmetto Brush about 20-30 feet away from me. I managed to get off two shots. This is the second shot as he/her looked straight at the blind once it heard the camera shutter. In a flash it was gone just as silently as it came in. I have yet to photograph a more beautiful and graceful creature as the Florida Panther. I have also included an image of an encounter I had with a a pair while hiking. So it seems that after my first encounter I was lucky enough to have come across a Panther 4 other times in the wild. So I guess the moral of the story is that patience and perseverance and a little luck goes a long way.

This is the image I was after
    Panther2-printFinal.

A pair I encountered while hiking
    PantherSighting.
    and finally the blind I used to get the image
    _DSC9727.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. Great shot, you have really captured its "soul". I am glad to see your dedication has paid off.

cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

3. Congratulations, your skill and patience paid off--that is one heck of a great shot!

4. Amazing photograph...and all the more impressive that this was captured in the wild. Congratulations!

Glenn

5. Incredible dedication and skill. Truly a fantastic wild panther portrait!

6. I remember you posting about the quest, superb image as are the others

7. I don't think most folks realize how rare and elusive these panthers are in the wild. I'm truly awed you were able to produce this fantastic photo.

8. Michael, I'm equally impressed with this incredible image and with your dedication to capturing such an incredible and rare animal. Those eyes pull you right in.

9. Amazing and wonderful................

10. Michael - congratulations, your hard work and dedication really paid off. Bravo.

11. merlin

merlin

Oct 12, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Merlin Emrys
    Wow! Terrific photograph, well repaying your impressive dedication.

12. Alexis, thank you, the wording you used, is basically what was in my mind as an image I wanted to capture.

Thank you Nick, when it comes to getting an image, I have all the patience and tenacity in the world. For other things...not so much.

thank you mr sod...

Glenn, the fact that it was in the wild and as long as it took me to capture, it is the image I am most proud of.

13. Thank you Mitchell

Thanks Randy, I believe I had brought it up in the past when I was trying to get the image.

Mitchell, when I first started venturing out to the Glades I would frequently run into Rangers who thought I was crazy. A couple of old timers (Rangers that had been working the Glades for years) told me that in 17 years they only got a couple of glimpses of them. The day I got the shot, I was walking out with my equipment and ran into one of them. I showed him the images on the camera, his response... Son you better start playing the Lottery"
    Thank you Dossy

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks Rolf

thanks Fred, I remember when we met at the wetlands we spoke about having patience and sitting at a spot for as long as it takes to get the shot.

Thank you Merlin

15. Michael, I can't think of anyone who deserves this more than you.

There simply are no words to describe this. I am sure that even 20-30 years from now you will get great satisfaction every time you revisit this picture.

Wow.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Wonderful image, though it almost looks like it's thinking "that might make a tasty lunch".

17. myfotoguy

myfotoguy

Mar 12, 2011
    Minnesota
    Congratulations! Your dedication and patience (as well as skill) is inspiring! I remember a few weeks ago you said something about having a certain image in your mind (I think it was you)? Is this THE one? I guess you probably have several in your mind you are after. Anyway, great job and thanks for the back story too!

18. JW53

JW53

Jan 21, 2006
    Johns Creek, Ga
    Wonderful image, perseverance does pay off. Also really like the image with the two together.

19. digipix

digipix

Mar 30, 2006
    Alvin
    Wow! Fantastic photo and great backstory. Your perseverance and dedication to your quest is truly impressive.
    Thank you for sharing your story and photo.

Alvin