1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My 50mm-1.8 First time out.

Discussion in 'People' started by AtlPikMan, Sep 29, 2008.

1. AtlPikMan

AtlPikMan

Sep 21, 2008
    Atlanta Ga
    Guys today i got myself a 50mm 1.8. I really like this lens a lot, its not to complicated for a Greenhorn. I was playing around this evening with my camera settings and my only issue is i cant figure out why my images arent sharper. I posted the image above and i got the DOF just the way i wanted it but it isnt sharp. Any ideas on how i can make it better? oh, yeah i do have the sharpness at +2

Picture073-1.
    Raw
    DSC_0123_01.

Sorry if it isnt proper to keep posting pics. I played with CS2 and tried to sharpen it up a bit...
    DSC_0123_01.
    NIKON D80    ---    50mm    f/1.8    1/30s    ISO 320

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  2. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Hiya, I think 1/30s shuttter speed is the cause of the issue here. Try bumping up the ISO higher. Aim for 1/100s and try again. Also, check your focus point, I'm not sure in #1what you are focussing on exactly

3. GregPQ

GregPQ Guest

Hi,
    This is my first post on Nikon Cafe. Just got my D60 Monday. I'm curious as to how you can tell the shots were at 1/30. Do you have some access to the EXIF file? I'm obviously a noob. However one of the things I like about this forum is that there are a lot of shots by 'non-professionals' and I'm very interested in what gear they used. Sometimes they mention it and sometimes they don't.

So that's why I'd like to know how you determined the 1/30 shutter speed...

Thanks,
    Greg

4. EssieK

EssieK Guest

Hi Greg and welcome to the café :) 

The exif-data is stored in the jpeg - unless the picture is saved in such a way ("save for web" usually also removes the exif-data) that it gets removed to make the file smaller.

Even when looking at files in Windows Explorer (Windows Vista here) you can have columns telling you these data. They're called "Focal length", "F-stop", "ISO-speed" and "Exposure time" (=shutter speed). Right click on the columns at the top when browsing a folder, and choose "More". Then select whatever you need to be shown about the picture in that folder, and then choose to view the folder in "Details"-mode.

In other programs the exif-data is shown in various places - in Lightroom 2 the exif is shown in "Library"-mode and also in "Develop"-mode (when not having selected any of the tools) right beneath the histogram.

And to the OP:
    Almost every (well, unless your nickname is Nute that is..) picture need some sharpening in postprocessing. Your sharpening for pic number 2 looks just about right. Am a bit unsure about picture number one - seems the focus is a bit off though

5. You bought a very sharp lens and you will be delighted with your results. The D80 could have its issues with exposure but AF wise it is a fine camera.
    Increase ISO speed when working in low light. Depending on the aperture selected your depth of field will be shallow, especially at wide lens openings and that will affect sharpness. The point of focus will be your sharpest area of the picture. If necessary, use a tripod.
    If indeed you were shooting at 1/30sec. that is a speed not recommended for a 50mm lens unless the camera is supported by a tripod. Many times a flash, bounced from a white wall, is the only way to add light under extreme conditions.
    I want to make sure you understand that you have a great lens and that it should give you excellent results with the right technique.
    As you gain more experience your pictures will begin to show all of the potential of the 50mm f1.8 so, keep on practicing. Very soon you will master the technique of low light photography.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

6. AtlPikMan

AtlPikMan

Sep 21, 2008
    Atlanta Ga
    Camerapapi, thanks for your comments and advice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.