My 70-200 Buying Experience- Faith in Humanity Restored

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AFS, May 10, 2005.

1. I have been active in numerous selling and buying activities for the past 5 years of my life. Lately it has been mostly cameras. I see every day the stories of disillusioned buyers.
    So, I went into my $1300 transaction to buy a 70-200 VR knowing there was a risk but it was probable that I would get an item as described.
    I didn't....I got MORE.
    The seller sent the lens by 2 day air, promptly after payment. I received it today.
    The lightly used lens is in immaculate condition. the finish is perfect, glass is immaculate, and it has the manual and case, as well as hood, caps, etc.
    But the extras were the real treat.
    The seller neglected to mention the 77mm warming filter ( I like warm tones in many pics), and the 2x tamron teleconverter. What a nice seller to include these items.
    I have heard stories of sellers who really tried to please before, but this was a truly amazing and pleasurable experience buying this lens.
    And now, I have myself a great lens to take lots of pics with.
    Yeah!
    HD

2. Harrison, great story and congratulation on picking up a wonderful lens. I too have had good success in buying and selling camera equipment.

3. So often we only hear about the bad transactions. It's good to hear about a good one. Thanks for sharing that.

Brian

4. Good transactions represent 95% of the time... and that 5% should never hit the faith in humanity.

BTW, are you sure the seller just didn't know about the 2xTC? Are you sure it's a gift? I wish for you... :)

5. I'm sure, checked this afternoon. Talk about generous!
    This lens is performing beyond my wildest dreams. I stopped it down to about f/8 or f/11, zoomed to 200mm and around sunset took a picture of my neighbor's license plate in their shaded carport- 1/6 of a second shutter speed ISO 200, and it came out sharp after I gave the VR a few seconds to level out.
    I find that if I give it lots of time and concentration, I can get past the 3 stop advertised advantage, to 4, 5, and more with little to no shake, from my tests today at low speeds. This is of course if I hold still and give the VR time to stabilize completely. I can see the advantage being around 3 in most situations (esp. sports)
    I'm getting some great pics. I'm really excited.

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Sometimes sellers don't include bonus items because many people don't want a package, and won't bid. By just throwing them in, he probably doesn't need them any more and he can get more bids on the lense if he doen't list the bonus item. He may have determined that the value of the TC wasn't worth the listing cost and effort.