My 70-200VR + 500D samples

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Flew, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK, it looks like I'm not the only one that went out to give this combo a try today. I took these while I was out watering the yard and flower beds.

First, a dragon fly (not sure of the species). He was just sitting on the brick retaining wall, so I ran and got the cam / 70-200VR / 500D / SB-800 (it was around dusk, so I needed a little fill). I only got a shot or two before he flew away. Here's one sample:

[​IMG]

I wasn't ready to quit shooting after getting all the gear out, so I victimized a few flowers. Not great, but a good example of what this combo can do in the hands of an inexperienced macro shooter. ;-)

Full flower:
    [​IMG]

A little closer:
    [​IMG]

BTW, the focus on these was done manually. My eyes ain't what they used to be, so I may have missed a little. I still like these better than the AF versions, because I got to set the focus point where I wanted it.

A few more can be seen here:
    http://flew.smugmug.com/gallery/227215/1/25766672

Thanks,

2. Frank,

These are great. The dragonfly detail is wonderful, and I especially like the delicate detail of the petals on the yellow flower. The lighting is beautiful too. I would say your eyes are just fine! I need to get out and practice with this lens today!

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Crystall,

I'd love to see a comparison between shots with this combo and your new 70-180, and to hear your thoughts on ease of use, working distance, etc.

Thanks!!

4. Brew

Brew Guest

Wow frank, nice texture on the Lilly!! And the dragon fly looks great. I'll have to find some time to test out my 70-200vr with the 500d.

Question for you, do you take off the lens filter before you put on the 500D? and what do you think about using the 1.7TC with the VR and the 500D? I guess I should experiment.

5. absolutely delightful, Frank. Looks like a great combo.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bruce,

No, I left the UV filter on. I wonder if I should have removed it. I haven't shot that much with the 70-200VR and the 1.7 TC. I've mostly used the 1.7 with the 300 2.8. I suppose that I should give it a try.

Thanks,

7. Frank you should grow a lot more of flowers like the last two, there seem to grow gold dust on the leaves.

8. What distances were you working from?

9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I love the DragonFly! I'm just not quick enough to catch one....Your's is great!

10. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Frank,
    Nice job with the dragonfly, and the flower pics are especially well done. That color combination is difficult to handle and you did it very well. Looks like this setup is working well for you!
    Jerry Snider

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

The working distance with the 70-200VR + 500D is about 14 - 18 inches, somewhat dependent on the focal length. I'm afraid that I would have a hard time with a dedicated macro lens that didn't give at least 12 inches. For that reason, I'm always interested in shots using the 200 Nikon Micro lens. I'd like to have that one some day.

I saw some shots a few days ago with the Kenko extension tube set and the 70-200VR. That looks like it could be a killer combo. As soon as my VISA cools off a little, I'm going to get a set and see how they work.

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Love the dragonfly! I am definitely going to have to open up. Were you handholding or on a tripod?

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Lin,

These are all from a tripod. My hands are very shaky, so I have a very difficult time getting really sharp shots hand held.

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Love the Dragon Fly

In fact, they are all very nice. Looks like you have got a great combination there. How much does the 500D cost?

Thanks for sharing these and educating us to the lenses that are available for different purposes.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Terri,

See my response in your thread. :wink:

17. Hey, Frank nice shots...I think it is a great combination (500D +70-200) once you get used to it! :D

18. Great detailed macro shots Frank. Looking at your pictures with the combination, I wonder if I must not sell one of my macro lenses (Tamron 90mm and 180mm) and get a 500D. From your experiences, what is the minimum working distance with the combination?

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dao,

I believe that it is about 12 - 14 inches. The entire focus range is about 12 or 14 inches to about 16 or 18 inches. Not a wide range, but very usable. I have no problems at all with it except that with my shaky hands, and the very narrow DOF, I almost have to use a tripod. That would be the case for any macro lens that I might use though.

Hope this answers your questions.