My 70-200VR just have been betrayed! :)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Sanyika, May 16, 2007.

1. Sanyika

Sanyika

Apr 19, 2007
    Hungary
    Well... I had a lust for the legendary 70-200 VR, few month ago I had it finally. It's a flawless mid-tele zoom. Really is, VR II really wroks. Really good even wideopen. but then...
    Last week I bought a 180mm f/2.8 AF-D IF. And you know what...
    I sold my 70-200 VR since. :) Anyone can say anything, but I will never like zoom lenses. Somehow prime lenses inspire me way much more then zooms to find the right shooting angle/disctance etc.
    (I find my self zooming all the time when a zoom lens is attached to my body, insted of finding the right spot. Zoom doesn't solve anything for me, but i know it is my fault:)
    AND nevertheless... primes has unparalell IQ. I will never ever own any zoom lenses more.
    Nevertheless i go buy an other lust of mine: 300mm AF-S f4 + a Kenko 1.4 pro TC.
    The biggest bonus on this whole business is that:
    in Hungary, you get a 180+300+1.4TC from a price of a single 70-200VR. I'am sooooo happy now. :)

2. Sanyika

Sanyika

Apr 19, 2007
    Hungary
    just corrected my signature :) !!

3. Neil M.

Neil M. Guest

Actually, I think I know what you mean. I have found lately that I nearly always zoom to maximum whenever I am using a zoom lens. I suppose this would suggest that I consider more primes and move a bit more too.

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I'd like to add some more primes to my kit, but I won't part with my zooms. They're too versatile and I'm satisfied with the IQ of the 70-200 VR.

I've decided that there are times for primes and times for zooms. Different tools for different jobs.

5. Neil M.

Neil M. Guest

wbeem,

You're quite right, of course. I need to quit being lazy and actually make better decisions when I'm shooting.

6. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Plus, the 180 is small right? If I pulled out my 70-200 at Starbuck's, the place would probably hit the floor, but with the 180 maybe no one would pay attention. It's definitely a lens i want as well. (but I admit I want 'em all)

7. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Neil:

Is it a matter of being lazy? I wouldn't have thought that. In some cases, there is no opportunity for me to move backwards or forward with a prime - I can only shoot from a given spot. That's when I like my zoom.

This weekend, I tried my hand at shooting a triathlon for the first time. I could see how a prime shooter would just pick a spot and wait for the action to hit that area, then fire away. In fact, I did that at the end of the swim area and the end of the run. However, there were some people I wanted to follow a bit more as they came closer to my position.

There was no room for me to move, as the place had thousands of spectators there. If I wanted to get different perspectives, I had to zoom.

498646263_a2e1181e4e_b.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  8. Thats my experience too.
    Maybe I'll try the 180mm too :biggrin:

9. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I am thinking more and more about having both!

Curently have the 180 2.8 and other primes under that range.

Wade

10. I sold my 85/1.8 and my 180/2.8 in order to buy my new 70-200 VR. When my wallet permits it, I will definitely buy another 85/1.8 and if the price is right, for sure, I'll own another 180/2.8.

I never thought I'd say that but I really miss both lenses. I'm glad I got the 70-200 VR as it provides me with much much more flexibility when shooting at different venues but both the 85 and the 180 can complement the 70-200 VR.

Plus, when my youngest son starts shooting with a DSLR, those two lenses will provide him with pro quality glass at an affordable price.

11. Neil M.

Neil M. Guest

wbeem,

Please don't misunderstand my comment, I was talking about my personal laziness. I will definitely not be giving up my zoom lenses because, as you so accurately state, they provide options that primes don't. That said, in my own case, I know that there are times when a prime would produce a superior result if I could be bothered to move myself to a better position.

Clearly there are situations where either a prime or a zoom would produce the best result and I recognize that it is I who need to make better decisions instead of staying put.

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i hear ya ...i'm down to just 2 zooms now,,,uh o ..lol

13. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I am completely OPPOSITE to your way of thinking!! I love my zooms... :645:

The image quality of the zooms that I have are awesome (17-35, 28-70, 70-200, 70-180, 200-400). Don't get me wrong... my 200 F2 VR is AWESOME in every way... but the zooms are just so convenient. Call me LAZY.... :biggrin:

14. Good thought, Fireman.

I've already done that with my son. He shoots with my 180mm on my old D70 when we go birding.

[​IMG]

He does quite well with this combo!
    [​IMG]

15. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have 2 kits, with one being zoom and the other being primes. Personally, I find that my vision is a bit more artistic when using primes. Not sure if that is all mental or caused by the restriction of a single focal length.

Now I am at the point where I must decide between the 200-400vr and the 400/2.8.