1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My 80-200 portrait attempt

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by tech1961, May 2, 2007.

1. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    I am trying out this lens for portraits. This is the push pull version I purchased used.

482175987_fa3a72f1a0_b.

Toned down a little.

View attachment 93542

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2007
  2. [FONT=&quot]Hey Jimmy..

I like it and the way you have a strong backlight, nice composition of a lovely girl. My only criticism is and it just might be my monitor here at work, is that it looks a little “orange” in the skin tone, and you may have to reduce the “red” in the photo or change the WB a little.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]But well done, and again it just might be my monitor…. I luv the 80-200 for portrait work …[/FONT]

3. You've got an important portrait tool.....your SB600.
    Shoot outdoor portraiture with the SB600 at about -1.3 to -1.7 EV.
    It'll give you a non-obtrusive non-flashy result.
    I think your shot is great but would benefit from a touch of fill.

You have BTW a natural girl-next-door cutie for a model....take advantage of her innate ability, as she looks very comfortable in front of your lens.

The 80-200 is a fantastic outdoor portrait lens, versatile, razor sharp and beautifully contrasty.

I'm no expert but I love the SB800 outdoors as much as I hate it used straight-on indoors!!!
    My son a and his honey at -1.7 EV on the SB800:

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

excellent lens Jimmy ...beautiful model...and like Vernon said, fill would have been the ticket in this situation. i also prefer in camera neg saturation to help eliminate those naughty color casts .....;-))

5. That's a beautiful girl Jimmy! :) 

Can i share one?
    I too have the pushpull version, though its really soft at 200mm 2.8 but for lack of a longer lens i had to bring it to a wakeboarding session. Thankfully at f8 it was sharp :) 

UpsideDownWakeboarderNetTagd.
    NIKON D70    ---    145mm    f/8.0    1/640s   

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.