My 80-200 portrait attempt

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by tech1961, May 2, 2007.

1. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    I am trying out this lens for portraits. This is the push pull version I purchased used.

482175987_fa3a72f1a0_b.

Toned down a little.

View attachment 93542

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2007
  2. [FONT=&quot]Hey Jimmy..

I like it and the way you have a strong backlight, nice composition of a lovely girl. My only criticism is and it just might be my monitor here at work, is that it looks a little “orange” in the skin tone, and you may have to reduce the “red” in the photo or change the WB a little.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]But well done, and again it just might be my monitor…. I luv the 80-200 for portrait work …[/FONT]

3. You've got an important portrait tool.....your SB600.
    Shoot outdoor portraiture with the SB600 at about -1.3 to -1.7 EV.
    It'll give you a non-obtrusive non-flashy result.
    I think your shot is great but would benefit from a touch of fill.

You have BTW a natural girl-next-door cutie for a model....take advantage of her innate ability, as she looks very comfortable in front of your lens.

The 80-200 is a fantastic outdoor portrait lens, versatile, razor sharp and beautifully contrasty.

I'm no expert but I love the SB800 outdoors as much as I hate it used straight-on indoors!!!
    My son a and his honey at -1.7 EV on the SB800:

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

excellent lens Jimmy ...beautiful model...and like Vernon said, fill would have been the ticket in this situation. i also prefer in camera neg saturation to help eliminate those naughty color casts .....;-))

5. That's a beautiful girl Jimmy! :)

Can i share one?
    I too have the pushpull version, though its really soft at 200mm 2.8 but for lack of a longer lens i had to bring it to a wakeboarding session. Thankfully at f8 it was sharp :)

UpsideDownWakeboarderNetTagd.