Critique My Annual Photography Book

Each year, I like to publish a photography book that includes my favorite images from the year. The book obviously isn't intended to sell--I like to keep a copy for myself and will sometimes have an extra copy or two printed for family members.

2020 has been a different kind of year! With the coronavirus pandemic, my photography trips were canceled. I've had fewer photo shoots than in prior years. As a result, I decided to do something different with this book. The book includes many of my favorite photographs over the past decade.

While making my selections, I found myself reliving many remarkable experiences. During this time span, I visited 49 of the state capitols, 250 places of worship and many libraries, city halls, prisons, zoos and theaters. I also visited nearly all of the national parks within the United States and have enjoyed some of the most spectacular landscapes in the world.

Without photography, I'm not certain that I would have expended the energy it requires to position my camera in front of so many interesting subjects. I probably wouldn't have traveled as far or made as many complex arrangements to have so many grand interior spaces to myself. I wouldn't have sat through so many Catholic masses--since I'm not even Catholic! I might not have stood as long patiently waiting for an animal to finally look into my lens. I know I wouldn't have set my alarm well before sunrise on so many occasions in order to experience a scene in the best lighting.

In the end, I'm thankful that I have pursued photography as a hobby. I've been rewarded with an amazing decade!

Here's a link to the book preview. I've made all the pages available for viewing...and that's done best by expanding the book to fill your monitor. Also, I believe you have to click on "Dust Jacket" below the book in order to view that cover.

A Look Through My Lens: A decade of photography

Thanks again for looking!

Glenn

Last edited:
Wow, a decade book? That must have taken some serious soul searching! Very well done with a great representation of you different styles (travel, portrait, architecture, nature). I even counted 3 photos from your trip to Iceland.

I've switched over to Blurb on your recommendation. I do like your page layout style. My annual book just arrived and I experimented with some full bleed layouts along with their layflat pages. Pretty nice.

Wow, a decade book? That must have taken some serious soul searching! Very well done with a great representation of you different styles (travel, portrait, architecture, nature). I even counted 3 photos from your trip to Iceland.

I've switched over to Blurb on your recommendation. I do like your page layout style. My annual book just arrived and I experimented with some full bleed layouts along with their layflat pages. Pretty nice.
Thanks Mitch...fortunately I haven't yet printed this book as I find more errors in it each time I read it!

Up until this book, I always used Blurb's Booksmart software. This time, I used Blurb's Bookwright software. After a brief learning curve, I find that I can create better results with the new software. I felt like I had far more control over the photos and the text.

The layflat pages look interesting. I would be interested in viewing your annual book if you decide to share it on the Cafe.

Glenn

I experimented with some full bleed layout
Before creating my first book years ago, I reviewed tutorial information provided by a pro in the layout business. One of his suggestions is that portraits tend to look best when not displayed full-bleed and that landscapes tend to look best when displayed as full-bleed. Once I temporarily displayed the two types of photos both ways, I really saw his point.

Considering that you purchased layflat pages, I hope you used some two-page spreads. That's when the layflat pages really shine.

Before creating my first book years ago, I reviewed tutorial information provided by a pro in the layout business. One of his suggestions is that portraits tend to look best when not displayed full-bleed and that landscapes tend to look best when displayed as full-bleed. Once I temporarily displayed the two types of photos both ways, I really saw his point.

Considering that you purchased layflat pages, I hope you used some two-page spreads. That's when the layflat pages really shine.
Good points, Mike. The key with the two page spreads is to find the center line which is still visible and avoid it intersecting with a vital part of the photo. If done right, it can be very dramatic.

Glenn, lots of memories in there for me! I recognize many of those great photographs and some of the stories behind them. What a labor of love, skill, patience, endurance and curiosity!
Thanks Nick! I am hoping that my love of photography will sustain and that the upcoming decade might be a fraction as rewarding as this last one.

Things have tended to get harder for photography--and that can test one's patience. As time goes on, fewer places are willing to grant access for security reasons. Churches that once always kept the doors open now tend to lock the doors except for events. Many places are banning tripods. One of my favorite locations for photography, the Brookfield Zoo, just introduced a policy to prohibit tripods. While revisiting some of the state capitols, some have told me that I can't bring my tripod inside now. While revisiting the Virginia State Capitol last year, I didn't even bother carrying my camera around (I checked it) due to the new ban on tripods policy.

I learned that the photography tours of Antelope Canyon are no longer offered--no tripods. I learned from Karen's recent post that the Angel Oak Tree in South Carolina now has so many restrictions that the type of photography I did there in 2014 is no longer possible.

So, I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to visit as many places as I did when I did!

Of course, with COVID practically everything is closed to photographers wishing to enter buildings now. But, that will pass. I'm not sure that all of the other security measures will improve, though.

Glenn

If the errors are typos and the software doesn't have a spelling checking capability, copy and paste the text into software that does have it.
The Bookwright software does have spelling check capability, but it pointed out so many errors that weren't really errors (names, symbols, etc.), that I overlooked a few! Some of the other errors I made were things like adding an extra space between words. I'm sure there's still some things I didn't catch, but I'll look it over again on a different day before submitting it to print.

Glenn

Great revisiting many of your great photos. They continue to inspire many of us here.
Thank you, Allan...I appreciate it.
Superb book, Glenn. I had to smile when viewing page #4. What a time we had!
Thanks Karen...it was a great time! The trip itself up to the ice cave was worth the price of admission. I don’t think the photo accurately portrays how small the ice cave was. When that crowd arrived, it seemed like the space was packed with people shoulder to shoulder!
It's a great collection of many beautiful images. thanks for sharing.
Thank you, Phil

Glenn

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Fantastic.
Glenn, you have the eye and the abilities to shoot such excellent pictures.

Simply wonderful
Klaus

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom