My attempt at Falls Mill

Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
8,677
Location
Alabama
Patrick posted his shots of Falls Mill....I figured I'd post one of mine. Critiques welcome (but be kind keeping in mind I was shooting these w/the CoolPix8800).

Falls Mill

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
 

PGB

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
7,986
I think this is a great shot Leigh. I'm glad you suggested we go there again.

Thanks,
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
4,741
Location
SE Florida
Are you guys in the same house right now?

It always tickles me when you guys reply to each other's posts, thinking you could be in just the other room from each other! :smile:
Leigh yours is excellent, & has more saturation than hubby's. (sorry Patrick) Good Job!
 
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
977
Location
The Netherlands
Nice place i almost can hear the water fall. Why asking if we can be kind? I see there is nothing wrong with your coolpix8800. So we can only be kind!

I am staying kind, but i am jealouse at the nice places you are shooting the photo's. And it doesn't matter what camera you use because you captured a great shot that is still the main thing what we all love capturing great moments on the right time.

Here in the Netherlands i never seen a waterfall. Not even a tiny waterfall. There are waterfalls but there not real or they are attached to fish ponds. Yes i life in the country that is below sea level and is almost totally flat. But we have wind mills like these:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Windmills are nice but not as nice as your Falls Mill. So i am jealouse :smile:

Greetings,
VinceBeus
 

PGB

Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
7,986
vincebeus said:
Nice place i almost can hear the water fall. Why asking if we can be kind? I see there is nothing wrong with your coolpix8800. So we can only be kind!

I am staying kind, but i am jealouse at the nice places you are shooting the photo's. And it doesn't matter what camera you use because you captured a great shot that is still the main thing what we all love capturing great moments on the right time.

Here in the Netherlands i never seen a waterfall. Not even a tiny waterfall. There are waterfalls but there not real or they are attached to fish ponds. Yes i life in the country that is below sea level and is almost totally flat. But we have wind mills like these:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Windmills are nice but not as nice as your Falls Mill. So i am jealouse :smile:

Greetings,
VinceBeus
Now I wish we had windmills around here like that. I keep thinking of one of my favorite movies, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The lead family lived in a windmill. Very cool!
 
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
8,677
Location
Alabama
vincebeus said:
I am staying kind, but i am jealouse at the nice places you are shooting the photo's. And it doesn't matter what camera you use because you captured a great shot that is still the main thing what we all love capturing great moments on the right time.

Here in the Netherlands i never seen a waterfall. Not even a tiny waterfall. There are waterfalls but there not real or they are attached to fish ponds. Yes i life in the country that is below sea level and is almost totally flat. Windmills are nice but not as nice as your Falls Mill. So i am jealouse :smile:

Greetings,
VinceBeus

Vince, First of all I'll second what Patrick said....we loved Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! So we envy your Windmills! Now, that being said....

I tell you what, you make a trip down to Alabama and Patrick and I will take you around and show you some amazing things....not just waterfalls. Depending on what time of year you come, there are many things to see. Plus, I'll cook for you! So you just schedule a vacation and come visit...maybe next spring? Just let me know and I'll plan it all out!

Thanks for your kindess....it always helps when I wake up and see where someone has had positive things to say about my shots when I was not sure about posting them to begin with. Cheers!
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
978
Location
Viera Fl
Leigh

Thats a great shot. I even like a further back landscape of that.. Seen many beautiful images of that place.

With all you guys have there...Think it is time to pack up.. :>)))))

Have enjoyed all the pics you and Patrick have posted.

Great stuff.

Thanks.
 
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
1,602
Location
Québec, Canada
Very nice place to take picture. Your picture compare to Patrick has cooler colors.

Here are the settings I use.

Coolpix 5700 settings in program

ISO if using a tripod : the lowest
White balance: daylight or other depending of the lighting
Metering: matrix for paysages or center weighted for portrait, flowers, etc.
Continuous menu: single
Best shot selector: off
Image adjustment: auto
Saturation control: normal
Exposure option: off
Focus option: single AF, manual
Image sharpening: auto
Auto bracketing: off
BKT: off
Noise reduction: off
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
3,423
Location
Edmonton, Alberta
Leigh, beautiful job, I like the shot, allows me to see more! nice color, composition and sharpness. What is not to like. Personally I would like to see some pics with you using the D2x. You know before and after :Whistle:
Im starting to think your cooking is now world renowned..........what does a guy have to do...........LOL!!!!! :wink: Its great to see the family enjoy and share some of the same passions while spending quality time together, that is awesome!!
 
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
977
Location
The Netherlands
Leigh said:
Vince, First of all I'll second what Patrick said....we loved Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! So we envy your Windmills! Now, that being said....

I tell you what, you make a trip down to Alabama and Patrick and I will take you around and show you some amazing things....not just waterfalls. Depending on what time of year you come, there are many things to see. Plus, I'll cook for you! So you just schedule a vacation and come visit...maybe next spring? Just let me know and I'll plan it all out!

Thanks for your kindess....it always helps when I wake up and see where someone has had positive things to say about my shots when I was not sure about posting them to begin with. Cheers!
Thanks for your offer, Leigh and Patrick. I think for the moment i can make no trips. I spend to much money on camera gear and equipment. And i am planning to buy some lighting set. But until now i am still enjoying the nice places you both visit and that is for me allready great at the moment. But if i go travel and planning to go to america. And i am going to Alabama then i will for sure first post on this forum if the invitation still stands for the shooting photo's all together. And i can't reject a meal that will be cooked for me.

Oh my i can't refuse a nice meal.....

Thanks and greetings,
VinceBeus
 
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
8,677
Location
Alabama
Keith said:
Leigh, beautiful job, I like the shot, allows me to see more! nice color, composition and sharpness. What is not to like. Personally I would like to see some pics with you using the D2x. You know before and after :Whistle:
Hey Keith, I'd like to try out the D2X a bit more as well. I've picked it up a time or two and shot a few things. I like the feel of it (other than the weight) but it definitely is a different camera than my CoolPix. The thing is that most of the time we've got both of our boys with us when we are out shooting and so it makes more sense for each of us to have our own camera and shoot at the same time rather than take turns with one camera for Before and Afters....But Patrick and I have an anniversary coming up in a couple months and we are thinking about taking a few days w/o the kids so who knows...maybe I'll be able to use the D2X a bit more.

Keith said:
Im starting to think your cooking is now world renowned..........what does a guy have to do...........LOL!!!!! :wink:

You flatter me! Actually all you have to do is show up for dinner! (usually all I need is about 24 hours notice...so if you think you might be in our area sometime....give us a yell....I'd love to cook dinner for you!) And heck, maybe you and Patrick and the other guys might just get to take in an afternoon of shooting in our area! :Tongue: Like I said, just give me a yell!
 
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom