My autist.... sorry, artistic PS attempt.

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by NeilCam, Mar 12, 2005.

1. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Now that Gale's set the ball rolling or the birdie flying, and Patrick and Frank have provided the venue, I thought I'd roll out an image I played with about 1 1/2 years ago.

I went from this image taken in Montreal:

[​IMG]

To this one, which after some playing with a sketch action I picked up off the Retouching forum on DPR, plus some playing/experimenting with filters in PS, ended up, to my warped eye, looking a little like an old master painting.*

[​IMG]

Neil

* Okay, only a very little.

2. You did well Neil, I have never gotten around to trying that. I'm still in the stage of getting my normal images to look their best.

3. Neil,

This is excellent. Do you mind emailing that action ?

4. Way to go Neil!! We know you really did that on your own!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Neil,
    Very good version of the original.. Well chosen image and well executed.

Here is a link from retouching guru's actions and tuts.

http://atncentral.com/download.htm

There a boatload of them.

Cheers
    Gale

6. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Great!!

That is art, in my mind.

7. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks folks!

Gordon - I haven't done much of this type of stuff at all. Really only this one and another one. Like you, in fact probably even more so, I struggle to get my original images looking right.

Jay - The main action used in that image was Mike Finn's "Insta-Sketch_Beta" which you can download from his site at http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~mikefinn/action.html I also used various standard PS filters such as Canvas, underpainting and sponge painting, but have zero idea in what order and what settings. It was done using the "play until it looks right" method.

Bryan - LOL It's too good to resemble my best finger painting efforts.

Thanks Gale and Pat and all!

Neil

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nicely done Neil. I'd like to try this once I learn everything there is about how to get my shots to look like the real world.

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't wait that long.... :lol:

Frank

9. Hi Neil,

I like what you did to the image and love PS. I have more actions and plugin than you can count. Some I like better than others.

Speaking of Mikes Sketch, I purchased the full version and really enjoy it. I haven't used it much because I am so busy, it is not funny and I like to add some time to be on here once in a while.

You are so right about atncentral. So many actions and tutorials. I also enjoy what's offereed from Adobe exchange too.

Keep up the good work.

Melissa

10. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks all. Playing with images like that is fun and I must do some more.

Neil