My Baby girl and her friends

Discussion in 'People' started by DatHaitianDude, Aug 3, 2008.

1. DatHaitianDude

DatHaitianDude

Jun 1, 2008
    Boston
    Oh well baby girl is growing up and is heading to middle school in the fall. I am not sure where the time has gone. This is one of the rarest moment of my life these days, I was allowed to photograph her and her friends at a school event last June.

PS- Your comments and most of all your criticism is what I am after. (Note: She is wearing the brown shirt)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hi Marc

I'm no expert but these are great images and I'm sure your daughter will love them - she is v cute by the way!

As you're specifically asking for comments/criticism:

- I like the posing in #1, the heads are close together and this shows the close friendship

- Not sure what your lighting was - maybe a reflector or some fill flash would have been good here (although if this was a surprise photo opportunity you may not have had these handy)

- Not sure what software you have but if you have any Photoshop software (CS3 or I think this will also work with PS Elements) - you may want to use the "clone tool" on 30-50% (see what works best) on "darken" to just remove the lighting glare on the top of your daughter's forehead (maybe also on nose of friend in #1). I posted a bunch of photos which had hotspots from the flash and was given the same advice - it really makes a difference.

I'm in Plaistow, NH so we're virtually neighbors!

Leah

3. DatHaitianDude

DatHaitianDude

Jun 1, 2008
    Boston
    Leah,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to critique and comment. I am very new to this. I had no setup, just my newly acquired SB600 and two o'clock sun beaming down on me using the D40 with kit lens. As I mentioned in an earlier post post-processing is my nemesis, although I do have both pieces of software, I don't know how to use them. But I will take your suggestions and attempt to correct. I will post for your review.

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hi Marc

Like I said, I am such a newbie to all of this too but I feel like I'm starting to get some of the "theory" of this!! Can't always execute in reality though.... :-(

I've been given some amazing advice on PP. I think it was Uncle Frank who advised on the "clone on darken at maybe 40% opacity" for fixing flash/sun hot spots. Greg has helped me understand the value of sharpening images. I always check out posts from Peano as he seems to be a PP/retouching genius. And that's just 3 great people from the cafe that come to mind.

What software do you have? That will help people give you appropriate advice. If you have Photoshop, some of the books by Scott Kelby are a great place to start.

Keep posting!!

5. DatHaitianDude

DatHaitianDude

Jun 1, 2008
    Boston
    Leah,

I know what you mean...I even purchased the Banhupteh's guide to post-processing guide. But I am so inept at this, I haven't been able to put it to use. (Fault is all mine) In terms of sofware I have PS 7 and Element 4...I will try to grab a copy of one of these books. Hopefully they're written for a dummy :-(

6. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I had PS 7 for work (never used it) and finally paid a LARGE sum of $$ for PS CS3 for my PP messing around at home. Figured I needed to get my head around it and for me personally, the Scott Kelby books are TOTALLY work it. I think they're pretty popular and you could request the from your local library also. Or maybe Amazon will have a deal on the PS7 versions.

I've found 2 of his books invaluable. 1) Adobe Photoshop for Digital Photographers (this is not exact title but close) - goes through all sorts of tips and tricks one per page. Probably not the best book to give you thorough, comprehensive knowledge but really a fun read as even I could incorporate one or two tips right from the start. My only problem was that I then went a bit PP/retouch crazy and was smoothing skin, making people thin etc whether they needed it or not.
    2) Scott Kelby's 7 point PS guide (again, not exact title) was then a great 2nd book (others would probably argue that this should be first book) - it gives you a sort of system/order for doing PP. I found it useful as before I was randomly adjusting levels, cropping, sharpening in different orders each time.

Both books are WELL worth a read (my are already starting to look a little dog-eared which I think is the sign of a well loved book).

7. the lighting isn't so bad for the hot daytime sunlight, though a wee overexposed. bringing them further away from the background would make things look a lot better! post processing will most certainly become your friend. I was so intimidated by PS at first but I just felt my way around until I figured things out! It's fun.... and I've got a lot more to learn.. haha. :) 

8. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    Hi

Thanks for the advice Uncle Frank, shame you did not offer it to me when I first joined - when I actually asked that exact question.

SO you prefer the origonal, thats interesting

stew

9. artona

artona

Jul 9, 2008
    UK
    Hi

Thank you for the link Frank. Centering portraits has merit if you're in the business of making passport photos, but in this case, it was a bad idea. And you've taken some nice skin texture and turned it into a plasticy blur. I say you wasted that minute.

I will draw your attention to item 2 and item 3 on that same list

stew

10. marc,
    some great advice above
    just wanted to say
    great shots
    you have a very cute daughter and her friends are lovely as well

11. Cute pictures and cute girls, you can tell they like each other. The only criticism I can offer is to find some shade when taking close up's like this. I also try to find a darker background if possible.

12. Noted, and you're absolutely right, Stew. I'm sure you were just trying to be helpful. My apologies for the absense of patience and courtesy in my comments last night.

13. DatHaitianDude

DatHaitianDude

Jun 1, 2008
    Boston
    Artona,

Thak you for your comments and suggestions. I wonder if I missed something in this conversation. I am not able to see Uncle Frank's comments or suggestion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.