1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My Baby Niece

Discussion in 'People' started by Ian73, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Ian73

Ian73

Mar 30, 2008
    UK
    Hi all
    Looking to get some tips on taking photos of my niece,shes 12 wks old now.

3810948360_ff13e74749.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3810947894_9d9e860d50.jpg

A couple of my first shots,looking for best settings etc

Cheers for any info & pointers

Ian

2. Exposure is the big issue here. You needed more natural light or could have used a flash. The last one is so dark, at least on my monitory, that I really cannot make out her facial features other that a little light in the eye and reflection off her cute little nose. First one you have more light available but unfortunately with the light to the back of her head her face is in the shadows and not lit at all. Post Processing could definitely improve both the shots and make them where the baby's faces is lightened, however, since the overall exposure is now so dark, you may blow out the lighter areas of the pictures.

Good luck with future shots.

3. Ian73

Ian73

Mar 30, 2008
    UK
    Thanks for your reply,so more light is the key to the above shots then? Maybe a SB-400?I don't want to go crazy as money as normal is an issue

ian

4. The onboard popup flash would work fine in these close situations. No need for anything more. These can be salvaged with some tweats to your post processing.

5. It would help to have a flash, or to reposition her to catch the light. In both situations her face is away from the main light source. When that happens then is the camera is going to underexpose your main subject because it is compensating for the bright areas. I don't know the exif info, but if you have room to up your exposure compensation, and adust ISO or wider apertures, then you can get more light and better exposure on her face while sacrificing the details in the background or risking blowing out the brighter areas. You bring your own light to the party (flash) or you use the existing light by moving her face into it.

If you don't want to add flash to the mix (I don't blame you, I really like natural light baby portraits...see my blog heh.) Then a slight repositioning so her face is getting the soft light falling on it directly will help immensely.

A couple quick examples with my D40 and 50 1.8:
    f/1.8 1/125 s
    3661123381_099d0d5ac8_o.jpg

f/1.8 1/80s
    3718918269_a3be0478b8_o.jpg

Both of these were shot with light coming in from a window. If she had been turned the other way, the bright light would have resulted in either loss of detail to shadow in her face, or having to push the exposure for the face, and result in blowing out the lighter areas of the photo.

6. Well darn, I did a quick repair in Picasa since I do not have Photoshop on my work computer. Just added some fill light and brought out the baby so you can see her. But for some crazy reason I am having issues getting them to post here (never had problems before) I will try again later.

7. I would suggest building a diffuser out of a milk bottle if you are going to use your flash though. It spreads the light out wider and softens it. It is really easy to do, and just takes a plastic milk jug, a pair of scissors and about a minute.

8. [​IMG]

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/rhondavid/Misc%20Shots/3810948360_ff13e74749.jpg[/IMG]

9. This help?

3810947894_9d9e860d50.jpg

3810948360_ff13e74749.jpg

rhondavid, just seeing if this works. the links were a bit messed up. had two "http://" in the first, and no img tag in the second

10. Thanks for your assistance. Was in too big of hurry to review I guess.

Now you can see the precious little face of your neice.

11. Ian73

Ian73

Mar 30, 2008
    UK
    Thanks for everyones advice,one thing that strikes me is my screen must be out as my original pics look fine & the other edited ones too light,im on a Macbook.
    Also can anyone point me in the direction of the DIY diffuser made out of plastic milk bottle.

Cheers

Ian

12. I can give you a quick and dirty explanation.

Cut out the side of a jug of a milk carton so it is about 3x5. then cut it like this (i'll try to illustrate it as best I can
    (the | is the edge, the ... is just for spacing, xx is cut out area the ---is fold)

|................|
    |................|
    |................|
    |------------|
    |................|
    |................|
    |------------|
    |...x|....|x...|
    |...x|....|x...|
    xxxx|...|xxxx
    xxxx|...|xxxx

the thin part on the bottom goes under the popped-up flash into your shoe. It takes a little trial and error, but I think it works ok. It looks ridiculous, but costs $20.33 less than the gary fong puffer!

I'm experimenting with adding some cuts to make it wrap around the side a bit as well, but I don't think I can diagram that with ASCII characters.

13. i forgot to mention that I am still not sold on whether the actual white jugs work better or the translucent ones. I should do some actual experimentation on this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.