My Back Yard Too!

I was surprised late this morning too by this Red Shouldered Hawk sitting 40 feet off my deck.
5566116290_b55d7e1239_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

He stayed for quite a while and didn't pay much attention to me jockeying for better position.
5565584437_3fb507251c_b.jpg

The last couple days I've been watching (either another or the same as I posted before) this White Tailed Kite. While the first time I saw him at 60 yards or so, since he showed up around my place he's about 250 yards out. He's been seen a couple times launching out of this tree and then just hovering in the stiff wind that's been blowing up the canyon.
5566190402_559dceb794_b.png

I think you are right, the tail is wrong for a red shouldered...thanks, I'm pretty new to this serious identification stuff...:biggrin: I downloaded iBird and the Audubon Guides for my iPhone...cool stuff. I always am stumped with mountain wildflowers...no more!:smile:

Bailey, I think they are pretty hungry right now, hasn't been any warmth to entice too many critters out of the ground for a while. Thanks!:smile:

so everybody but me has a hawk in their by

Do you have any bird feeders in your yard, Randy? If not, put up a few and you'll likely have sharpies and coopers visiting, especially in the winter. I'm in Maryland and we have a sharpie around most of the winter although I don't see it all that often.

To the original poster: nice shots - it's always great when a hawk doesn't spook immediately and gives you a chance!!

--Sarah

Latest threads

Top Bottom