My back yard

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Terri French, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I love to grow flowers. Worked on the yard today and took some pictures for a break. I don't have a true macro lens. These were taken with the D70 and 50mm 1.8. Some shots also have an Olympus Mcon 35 attached.

Comments and criticism always welcome.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Terri,

You have some beautiful flowers. You can stop by and help Janie and I get ours in anytime you wish. :lol:

Very nicely captured as well. You did just fine with the 50mm. :wink:

3. I really like the color of the third one, beautiful contrast.

Terri one thing I do when I take picture around the house, is after I take photos, I put them immediately on the computer and very often I see the photos very differently or see other angles to take the shot and I move right away to take some more pictures.

In looking at your first picture, I see a great shot in the blue flowers with the daisy like pink flowers and the green background for that you would need a telephoto lens on your camera.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Great colors....the 3rd is just so pretty...I love that you caught the back of the flower, a nice change of perspective. It almost reminds me of a pouting child w/his back turned to you. :) Now, get out there and shoot some more!

5. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I like # 3 for the different viewpoint as well. It pays to look at things from all angles.

6. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks Frank

I just looked at many of the pictures in your online galleries. I love your pictures, especially the cats. I noticed that you are using the 70-200 with a macro adapter lens. How do you think this compares with having a dedicated macro lens like the Tamron 90mm? Since I am new to DSLR, I am trying to educate myself about lenses. I am formulating a long range purchase plan while trying to learn to use my current lenses to their fullest potential.

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try some more pictures today. I'll get out my 18-70 and my 70-300 and see what I can come up with. I love June in Idaho. The flowers are so gorgeous now.

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you Leigh. I liked the third one, but wasn't sure what others would think about it. I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment.

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Glad you liked #3. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me so. I liked it but wasn't sure if others would like it.

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Thanks Frank

Terri,

I would really like to have a dedicated macro lens, but have spent so much on my birdie shooting kit that I haven't had enough left over for one yet. The 500D was about $135, so it was a relatively inexpensive way of getting some macro capabilities. I don't have any macro lenses to compare it with, so I was hoping that someone like Crystall could do some comparisons for all of us. 8)

I agree that much study is needed before spending your hard earned $$ on equipment. Looks to me like you have a pretty good start though. I have heard good and bad things about the Tamron 90 macro lens, but mostly good. If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't have a long working distance which would make it less desirable to me.

Thanks for your kind words on the kitties. They are mine and Janie's babies. We even took them to Florida on our week long vacation last month. :roll:

11. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Re: Thanks Frank

I'll be watching for more comparisons. For now, I am using my inexpensive way to get some macro shots. I had the MCON 35 for my Olympus 8080. It seems to work with the 50mm 1.8 just great. But it just doesn't get close enough for some of those really great shots, like your dragon fly. I'm having fun with it for now.