My beast has arrived!

Congratulations on receiving your news lens, Mitch. Can't wait to see some images real soon...you are going to be pleased with the way "The Beast" captures ambient light.

beast

That's it, I'm naming all my lenses.
17-55 2.8 DX = Wide butt, nice
70-200 VR = Big Ben (I'm a Steeler fan)
18-70 kit = Little Joe
28-200 = SOLD

SRA

You're going to love the beast. It was one of the first lenses I bought for my 'D2x' and it was hauled all over Europe this summer. I seldom take it off and it is my official all purpose lens. It even works with the 2x teleconverter. Now if only I were worthy of this equipment. :?

Congratulations on you new arrival.

Hi, Lens Lusters! As much as I love The Beast, I have to offer a few words of caution. It's a "purpose lens", designed specifically for PJ and event photography. It can be used as a general purpose lens, but only if you work within its design characteristics. For instance, it's not in the same league as the 17-55 for wide open sharpness. As you all know, it's a big, brute of a lens, so unless you're in shape, it's a load to carry around. And it's been known to scare children and women when pointed at them.

Get passed all of that, and it's capable to delivering good results for everything from closeups...

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

to architecture...

View attachment 13016

to scapes...

View attachment 13017

But where it really excells is for people, either posed...

View attachment 13018

or snapped.

View attachment 13019

It's happiest when you use it for a wedding, though. I shot one yesterday, and even though I had 4 lenses in my bag, I never felt the urge to take The Beast off my camera. Not when it can deliver shots like this.

View attachment 13020

Mitch---Congratulations, hope the Beast meets all of your expectations!
I'm still struggling with the 17-55 or 28-70 decision.
Crystall--- Would you still go for the 28-70 if you did not already have the 12-24?
Thanks!

SRA

AFS said:
could anyone tell me the length of the 28-70 with the hood attached?

From body of camera to tip of lens hood I measure 8 & 3/4".

From back of Nikon D2x to tip of lens hood I measure 10 & 3/8".

Latest threads

Top Bottom