My best Hawk in Flight ever!

I was flying down the road when I saw this hawk on a fence post and I made an emergency stop and shot. This image is uncropped but resized for web. It is sitting in my office as my newest 13X19. To be honest it was a really lucky capture. Criticism from you birders is always appreciated.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What's not to like Chad. It's a real beauty!! Looks like he was really hauling too.:wink:

Beautiful DOF, nice detail, nicely done Chad. No one can appreciate how hard these shots are to come by till you try it yourself. Looks great on you!

Chad....

I'm not sold on this creature being a Harrier.....while it's tough to ID for me from the back...it's just not quite right.

Here's one from the front...are they the same?

Re: Chad....

jfenton said:
I'm not sold on this creature being a Harrier.....while it's tough to ID for me from the back...it's just not quite right.

Here's one from the front...are they the same?

That is definately not the same bird, can you give it a proper ID with this shot?

Another excellent shot Chad (and a most excellent one from Jim too ;-)). I agree that they are different. Both beauties, but different.

Fabulous shots, Chad! My wife often asks why I drag my camera along on some of our outings - then I show her a thread/capture like this and she backs off for a couple of weeks. Great capture! Thanks for sharing!

Great shot Chad. you have to be happy with this and it will make you crazy (in a good way) seeking more of the same.
I am fairly certain this is a Sharp Shinned hawk based on the breast color and single white slim band on the tail tip as well as the white underside just before the tail.
Dave

dmwphoto said:
Great shot Chad. you have to be happy with this and it will make you crazy (in a good way) seeking more of the same.
I am fairly certain this is a Sharp Shinned hawk based on the breast color and single white slim band on the tail tip as well as the white underside just before the tail.
Dave
Thanks Dave for the ID - southern Alberta seems to have quite a number of this species.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom