My best Hawk in Flight ever!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Chad Gladstone, Aug 11, 2005.

1. I was flying down the road when I saw this hawk on a fence post and I made an emergency stop and shot. This image is uncropped but resized for web. It is sitting in my office as my newest 13X19. To be honest it was a really lucky capture. Criticism from you birders is always appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. Chad, I'm not a birder but I can tell when I see a good capture and this one IS!
    It seems that you were on a war footing and it payed off ;-)

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    What's not to like Chad. It's a real beauty!! Looks like he was really hauling too.:wink:

4. Great feather detail!

5. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    You gotta be quick. We have about 4 Kestrils nearby that I have yet been able to get close to.

Again, good grab!

6. Good capture Chad. Now that you are inspired, get out there an do some more. Always like flying birds.

7. Very good shot Chad.
    Pete

8. Correction

Someone corrected me that it is not a hawk at all, but rather a "Northern Harrier," it is commonly referred to as a "marsh hawk."

9. Beautiful DOF, nice detail, nicely done Chad. No one can appreciate how hard these shots are to come by till you try it yourself. Looks great on you!

10. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Chad....

I'm not sold on this creature being a Harrier.....while it's tough to ID for me from the back...it's just not quite right.

Here's one from the front...are they the same?

original.

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Good one.
    I have been bitten (and happily I might say) with the Raptor quest. so I know how you feel.
    Does your neck hurt as much as mine does :lol:

12. Re: Chad....

That is definately not the same bird, can you give it a proper ID with this shot?
    [​IMG]

13. Very nice bird flight shots.

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Another excellent shot Chad (and a most excellent one from Jim too ;-)). I agree that they are different. Both beauties, but different.

15. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Fabulous shots, Chad! My wife often asks why I drag my camera along on some of our outings - then I show her a thread/capture like this and she backs off for a couple of weeks. Great capture! Thanks for sharing!

16. Great shot Chad. you have to be happy with this and it will make you crazy (in a good way) seeking more of the same.
    I am fairly certain this is a Sharp Shinned hawk based on the breast color and single white slim band on the tail tip as well as the white underside just before the tail.
    Dave

17. Thanks Dave for the ID - southern Alberta seems to have quite a number of this species.