My best regards to all of you!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Aug 1, 2005.

1. I just returned from "that" forum. It's so nice to be here at the cafe. Why Phil lets people behave so boorishly I can't understand. Y'know going back to your old neighborhood sometimes reminds you why you left.

Rich

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Welcome back, Rich...have you gotten your pickles yet? ;-)

3. Pickles? I was using them to clean my lenses! :wink:

Yes, I did. Thank you very much. Tasty and sweet!

Rikch

4. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I know what you mean. A few are very immature, rude, insensitive, and hypercritical. Phil needs to take his belt off and do some spanking :wink:

5. I'm always amazed at how rude people are there, they just spout out nastiness without any thought to anyone's feeling and if someone else says something about it, they jump all over him. The tone is really depressing and the site has degraded to the point that I never post anymore. Why bother?

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    DPR has lost more than half the members..First page on many of the forums sit for 11- 19 hours on the first page.

7. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I don't go there much anymore, and when I do I leave feeling sick.

The Cafe Rules

8. I still frequent that forum because of the volume, but I always visit the cafe immediately before and after as well as during my visits there.....

9. It's sad, really. I just purchased Thom Hogan's ebook on the D70. As I'm going through it, I realize I've already learned most of what he's talking about, and I learned it all on dpreview (with a bit on Nikonians). I've spent hours and hours on dpreview reading and absorbing, but I will never, and I mean NEVER, post there. It's a snakepit, where the most common response to a new person is 'try the search function, idiot.' I rarely even read there anymore, because I'm sick to death of the 'my lens is bigger than your lens' and the 'my flash is better than your flash' stuff. Whoever coined the term measurebator knows that group reaaaal well.

So, just adding my sigh of relief that nikon cafe exists :)

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It's a shame Phil doesn't set things up to allow moderation, I'm sure he could get some responsible volunteers for each forum. I spent a lot of time at DPR before finding this forum and another local Texas forum. I still go there because let's face it DPR has the numbers, and despite the bad there is also some good info there. But as these forums start to grow I think DPR will become less and less useful to me.

11. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I can't remember the last time I posted in the D70 forum there.. I still try to do some in the Kodak forum since I still use and love my Kodak P&S's.
    The people in that forum are like a family just like we have here...

12. I remember when I was looking at my first DSLR. I was agonizing between the D100, the dRebel and waiting a bit for the D70. The only lenses I had were for Pentax and they were not in the running then.
    The best advice I got was from that site " They will both take great shoots go and try both" I did and that knocked the Rebel out the 70 vs 100 was a little harder but waited for the 70.
    It is unfortunate the same advice is still there now it is the 70s vs 70 vs XT, vs 50 but it is burried in 90 out of 100 posts being brad bickering and "You idot how can you live without a DOF button".
    When I looked for a second body for my wife it was between the 50 and the 70s. I did not even post a query on fear of starting a flam war. But took earlier advice "Choise 1 and don't look back"!
    I think too manny people are looking back!
    BTW we are the proud owners of a 70 and 70s. Life is good and it is hard taking picture looking backwards.

Rich

PS. Spell check seems to be down so forgive the errors. There has to be a few

13. MikeG

MikeG

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    The only remaining places to learn anything of value on DPR are the Retouching and Lighting forii. Retouching especially is populated by experts and posters most willing to be helpful.

Otherwise, there seems to be an overabundance of parrots on the rest.

What a transformation in the past six months or so.

But I'm most appreciative of the content and people on Nikon Cafe.

:D

14. My first experience of any photographic fora was the Nikon Talk Forum (NTF) on Dpreview at the time I bought my CP950.

It was a friendly, happy place (like the Cafe is now) populated by some top people like Uncle Frank, Sandi and Jarrell Conley.

I wonder what happened to them...

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm not sure if he coined the term, but humorist Ken Rockwell has defined it rather well on this page:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/7.htm

Hey! If you want to have some fun, post a creative, backlit shot over there and ask "What's wrong with my lens?" Then sit back and enjoy the nonsense. On second thought, don't. They have a word for that, but I've forgotten what it is.

16. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

17. Just read K. Rockwell's description of photographers; thanks Chris!. Now I'm bummed! I'm old and near retirement and since my kids are on their own I"ve bought the D2H and D2X, along with a couple expensive lenses....I guess that makes me one level above a measurebator. (I'm kidding, of course, but I think a person or two here might agree with it..ah well!)

By my reckoning I understand Yves first coined the term measurebator; or that's the first time I heard it....on DPR from him. Can anyone confirm or correct this?

Rich

18. GaryW

GaryW Guest

I still frequent dpreview, but only the retouching forum. There are some fine, and unbelievably talented people there, such as feivel, Kent C., and cspringer (Chip).

The flame threads are not that common, and some are quite humorous.

However, this is the forum of choice for me.

19. Przemek

Przemek Guest

Dpreview is very unfriendly.

This past weekend I got sucked in to a troll fight and got flamed heavily for alluding to Ken Rockwell philosophy of photography, and discrediting Phil's method of determining the "quality" of a camera. Perhaps some of you read that thread. If you felt angry yourselves at what I wrote, then I'm sorry, it's just the way I felt.

The thing is, I replied to the original poster of that thread very early, even before the trolling has began. I admit, I replied in a brusque manner because his post essentially boasted the 350xt on a Nikon forum. I got into a dialog though with that poster and he turned out pretty reasonable. I was disappointed with how that thread unfolded, but I hope I at least helped the original poster somewhat.

We need to convince more of the Dpreview regulars who make valuable contributions to join this forum. I extended invitations to 2 people, but so far they haven't joined.

I need to cure myself of the Dpreview addiction.

Kind Regards,
    Przemek

20. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I suspect the same thing that happened to the Dell newsgroup on Usenet. It used to be a forum populated with many "geeks" and knowledgeable amateurs. When Dell cast a broader net for business and dropped their prices, many people flocked to the newsgroup for help. Unfortunately, there were many knuckleheads among the group, as there are on other groups that have grown rapidly. There must be some algorithm or statistical formula for calculating the percentage of rude people are in the general population, which can then be adapted to internet forums. With careful observation and your handy formula, you can monitor a newsgroup and know exactly when to bail :lol: