My best Reversed 50mm so far

Hi

I've been playing around with reversing a 50mm f/1.8 for a few weeks now. Lots of deleted files, but the image below is one that is getting close to what I'm looking for.

Hope you like it.

48878462.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Big thanks go out to forum member Frits, who sold me the lens in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beezle / Crystall

Thanks for the kind words. My wife likes the look of this one as well, I knew there was a reason to buy her flowers :wink:

Lighting was provided by the big orange ball in the sky, at about 6:00 PM. So it was nice and soft coming through the window.

After I took this one I hand to hand the tripod over to my daughter who spent the next 30 minutes on top of some steps, peering through the eyepiece of her cp3100 as it sat on top of a 5ft tripod. It was quite a sight - but she turned out some really good pictures. She seems to be able to capture cream coloured roses much better with her 3100 than I can with all the stuff I carry around. If get the chance I'll post some of her pictures.

That image has a lovely feel about it. Nice to see somebody else using the reverse lens technique. I began using it in 1978 with Leica Cameras and have just started using it again with digital. Sometime this week I will be going up to a rep.ratio of 8x life size. Now that should be interesting.

Best wishes. Bob F. Cornwall

Nice shot Simon. The flower looks so 'full' (I don't know a better way of putting it), and as mentioned, it has very nicely saturated colors.

Bob the Spiderman said:
Sometime this week I will be going up to a rep.ratio of 8x life size. Now that should be interesting.

8x - wow Bob ! - what are you using ? I've only just started down this road, but you must have such a limited DOF at that magnification.

I tried putting a few teleconvertors and extension tubes before the reversed 50mm and that produced very restricted results. So much light required - I can see an investment in a second flash at some point, and a focusing rail.

Thanks for the comments, and I look forward to seeing some of your results.

Flew said:
Nice shot Simon. The flower looks so 'full' (I don't know a better way of putting it), and as mentioned, it has very nicely saturated colors.

Thanks Flew - it seems to help if you don't use the flash, not a huge fan of flash photography - all gets a bit harsh. Problem is, whithout flash you end up with long exposure times that restrict photography to inside (no wind). At some point I'll get round to putting the diffuser on the flash and seeing what happens.

I am using the following combinations.

PB6. + BR2A Reversing Ring for 52mm lenses + PN 11 + Nikkor 24mm + SB800.

The deph of field at this magnification is basically nonexistant.

Actually this will be an experiment as I rarely go over 5X which gives me a D of F. of 00.51mm at F32.

Send me an email at bobatpamspenryn@aol.com if you would like to see the work that I have just started.

If you read my profile and introduction of last April you see what I do.

Best wishes. Bob F. Cornwall.

Latest threads

Top Bottom