my best wildlife in 2 days

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Doug, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Today at Cades Cove:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yesterday near Chimneys:

There are a few other poses on my smugmug site, but nothing quite as dramatic as these I don't think, though way different. www.smokymountainsgallery.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. spruce

spruce Guest

Great bear pictures, I hope my wife doesnt see those.:) we spent 3 days/evenings at cades cove 2 years ago trying to see some of the black bears with no luck, what a great place though

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thank you Spruce. I was quite pleased with these 2 poses, though I think my favorite was him staring down the lens. I think he heard my shutter motor, and I was firing off some pics. I had stopped to shoot some blanket like wildflowers and some kids spotted the bears miandering about less than 50 yards from where I was shooting, and I didn't even know they were there. It was a great moment as I had one camera ready with the 200VR on the seat, I grabbed it up and went with tri-pod in hand to stablize the shot well.

Both times I got wildlife, I stopped for something else. :)

The Cove is a very fun and special place I agree. I met some nice Nikon'ers from Ontario today, this was their 3rd time visiting. Apparently they love it too. He told me once about shooting a Mom and 3 cubs in a tree, made it to national wildlife magazine. (600mm shot)

I've been there the last 2 days and seen 6 bears, 2 where this pose was shot, 1 little one up on top a hill I elected not to stop and shoot late in the day, and 3 at the Cove at a pretty good distance today.

4. Lovely images. We are heading up there in about two months- I can't wait. It will be my first trip up there with a dslr.

5. good stuff Doug!!

6. Very nice Doug! It must be great to be out there with these gorgeous animals!

7. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    It's always special to me when I am out there Frits, whether shooting a beautiful landscape or capturing animals that get in the way. ;)

Thanks Dave!

Thanks Jeff. It's a fun place to photograph, pretty much year round. I get a little bored with the in between winter is all, though I love the cold cold parts of it for ice and snow.

I felt each of these images were special for varying reasons. The first one, I love the bokeh and the accurate image. (200VR + 1.4 TC) 280mm.

I loved the second one because of the interesting natural surroundings, yeah, in a perfect world, seeing the entire body would be nice, but I felt the rest of the surroundings made up for that natural part. Again, 200VR with 1.4 TC. I had assembled this combination earlier to get turkey down in the fields when I first came in, and just left it assembled and ready.

The bear shots, it's a quite a varied background setting, with some really really rough terrain on the high side of the mountain area. It's well lit around animal for as good a presentation as you can get shooting a near 100% black subject, but the other area has some shadows and shade to add interest. You just don't get to many opportunities like this, being in the right place at the right time, AND the subject being clear for image, is most of the battle of course.

If you'll note the rotted log, the bears are eating bugs right now, as there is not a whole lot of food in the park at present. Odds are, this bear was ripping into these dead trees to find insects.

Doug