My bet: FF-Nikon will use a 22MP Dalsa CCD Sensor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndyE, May 11, 2007.

1. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    For the rumor mill ....

Dalsa a dutch Sensor manufacturer released on Apirl 26th the specs for a new 22 MP 36x24mm CCD Sensor

http://www.dalsa.com/pi/products/productdetails.asp?ProductID=FTF4052C

Checking the specs and timing, i'd love to see this sensor in an upcoming FF-Nikon body.

Andy

PS: oops - just checked again - sensor size is 36x48mm - wrong bet :smile:

2. cgrab

cgrab

Jan 3, 2007
    France
    Their 11 mp sensor is 24x36 though, and it is available in a monochrome version too. So what about a b&w FF rangefinder, just to add to the weird side of the rumor mill?

3. Slow FPS rate though, and that sensor size isn't listed as 24x36?

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    While it might be enjoyable to wonder what might be over the horizon for Nikon photography....perpetuating rumors serves no real purpose. I'm not being critical, but I'd rather we enjoy what we currently own and view the images that we all enjoy shooting, rather then spend our valuable time discussing what is well out of our realm. :wink: When Nikon releases their latest and greatest...we can all agree that we want it, but can't afford it. :redface: I know that I will be one of the many that will be in that situation.

5. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Concur...

6. cgrab

cgrab

Jan 3, 2007
    France
    I have to say that I find a little bit of speculation quite useful. Thom Hogan's (http://www.bythom.com/) previews of the future Nikon lineup, of bodies and lenses to expect, for example, have served me well. If the consensus rumour says that a FF body is on its way, I would look to pick up lenses which could be used on it, rather than those limited to the dx format. A manual 35 mm 1.4 would be less interesting, if the future would bring only bodies in the D40 mold, compared to a FF D3 or D300. One of the great advantages of Nikon was always the backwards/forwards/sideways compatibility, and I am quite grateful for everything, which helps me to build my kit in a way that makes it future-proof, even if these informations are only educated guesses.

7. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Cristoph,
    If you are using Hogan's site (or ANY other forum, internet resource, heard from a Nikon rep, etc.) to help plan your purchases you are being done a HUGE dis-service. THEY ARE ALL TOTAL BS -
    This is why I get irate at silly rumor threads, they perpetuate mis-information.

For the record, NOBODY HAS ANY FRICKIN idea what Nikon will release, all we do know for sure is that everyone has been CONSISTENTLY WRONG in EVERY SINGLE "this is coming on XYZ date" rumor for the past 3+ YEARS. The same FF and VR on long prime rumors have been circulated prior to every single photo event/convention for many years and NEVER come to fruition.

There is little "education" behind the guesses and their track record is almost as good as the Bush administration's with regards to Iraq.

If you use any of this information to influence your purchasing decions you are making a huge mistake, and I doubt Thom or some nameless forum participant is going to pay you back for the money you squander.

I really dont have a huge problem with the original poster here, because he did not preface his comments as anything more than pure rumor/speculation, my purpose is not to slam him,

8. Amen.... I wish I had a dollar for every one of these pie in the sky "what, when and how ... the next Nikon threads" I've seen. Might be able to spend more time shooting frames instead of fixing network problems... :rolleyes:

9. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Ah! This would be my dream camera! Just make sure it is an M mount!

10. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    fast

lightning fast frame rate for this size sensor

especially compared to available digital backs in this size

11. I kind of enjoy the speculation myself most of the time.

And when I don't, I don't read these threads. :biggrin: