My breakfast frittata

Real Name
Ken St John
Wife, and my doc, have conspired to "encourage" me to shed the 100 or so extra pounds I'm carrying around needlessly. Great concept ... tough execution!! I'll get there, but a little at a time ...

Therefore, cutting back on certain foods means I'm on the lookout for things that I really like and have great taste. One of the things I love most in the morning is a good frittata. This is currently my "go to" version ... a couple of eggs, a slice of bacon, and some freshly snipped chives from the garden. To provide some additional flavor, I've also been mixing in slices of red and orange peppers as well. It comes to about 350 calories ... which starts my day off well.

EOSR0446.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

FYI - the background here is a small square of cherry that I've used to practice some techniques for my chopping board designs. This one is my first attempt at using a router to make a "juice groove". It's not quite perfect and I need more practice to do this right!!)

Cheers!!

Ken

Lots to like about this, Ken! The framing of the circular plate going beyond the exterior and interior squares provided by the wood is a modern, appealing look. I really like that the cooked egg extends beyond the plate (a concept I've never thought of doing that I will definitely use in the future). The long piece of chives works perfectly with the pair of curved lines in the plate. Excellent design!

I'm sure you've learned of all the methods of losing weight, so I'll simply confirm for you that the very best way is to change your lifestyle to one that naturally and slowly drops the weight and maintains it once you get to the weight you want. I lost 90 pounds beginning twenty years ago and have kept most of it off using that process.

Wife, and my doc, have conspired to "encourage" me to shed the 100 or so extra pounds I'm carrying around needlessly. Great concept ... tough execution!! I'll get there, but a little at a time ...

Therefore, cutting back on certain foods means I'm on the lookout for things that I really like and have great taste. One of the things I love most in the morning is a good frittata. This is currently my "go to" version ... a couple of eggs, a slice of bacon, and some freshly snipped chives from the garden. To provide some additional flavor, I've also been mixing in slices of red and orange peppers as well. It comes to about 350 calories ... which starts my day off well.

View attachment 1683857

FYI - the background here is a small square of cherry that I've used to practice some techniques for my chopping board designs. This one is my first attempt at using a router to make a "juice groove". It's not quite perfect and I need more practice to do this right!!)

Cheers!!

Ken
Thanks for the breakfast idea (y) ... and yes, loose the weigh, it will kill you

Real Name
Ken St John
Lots to like about this, Ken! The framing of the circular plate going beyond the exterior and interior squares provided by the wood is a modern, appealing look. I really like that the cooked egg extends beyond the plate (a concept I've never thought of doing that I will definitely use in the future). The long piece of chives works perfectly with the pair of curved lines in the plate. Excellent design!

I'm sure you've learned of all the methods of losing weight, so I'll simply confirm for you that the very best way is to change your lifestyle to one that naturally and slowly drops the weight and maintains it once you get to the weight you want. I lost 90 pounds beginning twenty years ago and have kept most of it off using that process.
Thanks, Mike. I really appreciate your input!!

You're right about my weight lose plan. Had a meeting a few weeks ago with a dietician out at Madigan Army Med center, and she told me a "diet" will probably never work, over the long run. What will work is (1) reduce carbs & sugars and (2) use my fist. Pretty much eat what you want, but if something on the plate is larger than my fist, don't eat the excess. Only exceptions are things like salads. So far, her advice is working well as I've already dropped about 10 lbs ... and never felt hungry!!

Cheers!!

Ken

never felt hungry!!

That's a HUGE indication that your program will be successful over the long term. When I lost my weight and continued maintaining it over the last 20 years, I never felt hungry and refuse to do so.

A good friend of mine who has never had a weight problem insists on eating anything you want so long as it's eaten in relative moderation. As an example, I enjoy desserts but not at every meal and not at anywhere near the number of portions or portion sizes that I ate during the days of my unhealthy eating habits.

By the way, when it comes to eating meat, especially red meat, maybe half the size of your fist is a better gauge than the full size of your fist.

That's an excellent photograph, and the frittata looks really good.

I'd be curious about your dietician's advice concerning the bacon. We never eat bacon, wishing to avoid the fats and the processed meat. And I've never eaten more than one egg at a sitting in quite a few years, and only do that a couple of times a week.

Mike's advice to lose gradually and find a lifestyle that allows you to maintain your weight comfortably, preferably including daily exercise, is spot on. I'm 5'10" tall and weigh 141, but I graduated high school at 192. It gradually melted away during college, Navy, and graduate school, and a daily 3-mile walk keeps it off.

Dietary advice seems to change at least annually so you are probably better informed than I am.

Real Name
Ken St John
That's an excellent photograph, and the frittata looks really good.

I'd be curious about your dietician's advice concerning the bacon. We never eat bacon, wishing to avoid the fats and the processed meat. And I've never eaten more than one egg at a sitting in quite a few years, and only do that a couple of times a week.

Mike's advice to lose gradually and find a lifestyle that allows you to maintain your weight comfortably, preferably including daily exercise, is spot on. I'm 5'10" tall and weigh 141, but I graduated high school at 192. It gradually melted away during college, Navy, and graduate school, and a daily 3-mile walk keeps it off.

Dietary advice seems to change at least annually so you are probably better informed than I am.
Jim, basically she said that there's really nothing wrong with bacon (or eggs) when used in moderation, thus the portion control "rule". I make my own bacon bits, and use probably 1-2 oz. on a omelette/frittata like this one. Obviously, I don't have one every day, three times a day!! But the biggest thing I have learned from her general guidance is "eat what you LIKE" so your brain doesn't send you into cravings mode. Obviously, you ned to make rational decisions about how often to eat something (especially carbs and sugars), but she said to remember that basically a calorie is a calorie. No mater if it's in lettuce or ice cream. If you burn more than you consume, weight goes down and vice versa. Of course, I doubt she would recommend a steady diet of nothing but ice cream or chocolate eclairs no matter the calorie load!!

I remember reading years ago about Michael Phelps "diet" when he was prepping for the Olympics. He'd consume vast amounts of foods, a lot of it from fast food outlets, with totals running in excess of 10,000 calories a day. However, given his 6-8 hours of workouts in the pool each day, he certainly never got "fat".

Food for thought (pardon the pun!!)

Ken

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom