1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My camera bag is killing my back

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GonzoBernelli, Aug 14, 2009.

1. So while looking at those roller bags with a hideaway handle, one of my friends indicated he had heard that those "wheelies" can cause a lot of lens/camera damage and it the manufacturer finds out, will void any warrenty.

Is this another of those "urban rumors" or is this based on fact and experience? No, I have no intention of bouncing whe wheel up or down stairs or over roadside curbs.

Any experiences or thoughts?

TIA

2. boyscout

boyscout

Mar 19, 2009
    Toronto
    Nick, I bought an Airport Security II, made by Think Tank Photo, just about three months ago. It's maiden voyage was a 10,000km road trip during which I dragged it into a different hotel each night for 25 nights, three of them with stairs and no elevator. On some days, it came out of the vehicle during the day too and was dragged over all sorts of urban and rural terrain including several wilderness trails. It has suffered almost daily handling since.

The bag is quite heavily-loaded with D3, half-dozen lenses, flashes, and a bunch of accessories weighing in at 18kg (almost 40lbs) total. It has never even occurred to me to be especially gentle with it. Nothing at all has been damaged.

Not a very scientific answer to your question, but I sure won't worry about it. You might wanna check with Nikon about the warranty issue, but this story may be a commercial fabrication by someone who doesn't have a roller bag in their line-up.

Oh, and carrying gear on wheels instead of your shoulder(s)? Priceless!

3. BlueMerle

BlueMerle

Feb 17, 2007
    Fort Worth

That seems more likely to me. Doubtful that they could have a provision against a wheeled carrier of any sort. I mean you could drop your backpack and damage the contents that way. There is some risk involved everytime you take the camera out. As long as you take reasonable precautions, you shouldn't have a warranty issue.

4. Another unscientific observation: there are probably more reports here at the Cafe of camera's being damaged in safe confines of a carpeted living room than in the wild outdoors!
    Besides, my quick read of Nikon's warranty turned up no such exception. And how would Nikon know you had your camera in a wheely-bag?
    I think there is a huge difference between a dedicated and well-made camera bag like those from Think Tank and a bargain product from Wally world.

5. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I properly padded roller bag should sufficiently dampen any vibrations making it to your gear while rolling such as to not cause any issues. Sure in a roller bag with NO PADDING at all I can see that causing problems, but who the heck would do that?

6. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    i could see all the vibrations from rolling the bag but i assume that they would be well padded enough. but I don't use one of those rolling suitcases other than for clothes.

7. Richard_R

Richard_R

Mar 26, 2009
    Australia

Jeez I hope Nikon never find out about me carrying my camera gear on my motorcycle for days on end or in the trunk of my SUV whenever I go over speed bumps or down fire trails or that it spent the best part of 4 hours this week on the floor of the plane so I could from time to time take photos out the window.

Advice like this from friends is generally worth less than what you pay for it. :smile:

8. That sounds like a total fabrication. Carrying your gear in a wheeled case is much less hard than the trip it made to get to your hands. Do you think those UPS trucks ride like a Cadillac? Do you know how many times that box was dropped on the way to Nikon USA and your camera dealer? I bet many times.
    BTW, I carried my D100 foe six weeks in a handlebar bag on my bicycle. Not a single problem and the current owner is more than happy with it.

9. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    I guess I'll have to relegate my new Pelican 1510 to carrying beer. 8-(

Dave

10. Sangetsu

Sangetsu

Apr 18, 2009
    東金市
    It's now time for me to get a wheelie bag as well. I packed up this morning for a weekend of photography, and it's quite a load: 4x5 with 2 lenses, loupe, holders, and couple extra backs, my D300 with 2 lenses, and 2 35mm film cameras with 3 lenses each. One tripod and head, extra batteries, film, etc. etc.

The 4x5 gear fits into a photo backpack, the 35mm and digital gear fits into a regular bag, the 2 of them combined are fairly heavy at the moment. What makes it worse is that I don't have a car, so I've got to hike from my apartment to the bus station (only a kilometer or so), take a one-hour bus ride to Tokyo station, then walk 2 kilometers to my girlfriend's apartment.

During the weekend I'll get around on my bicycle, load the backpack on the bicycle's rear rack, and hang my bag from the handlebars (like I used to hang my newspaper bag when I delivered papers years ago).

Perhaps instead of a regular, wheeled camera bag, I'll just pick up one of those cheap handtruck/dollies they sell at the camera store. They're only $30 or $40, I'll have to take a closer look at them. I remember using a cheaper one ($15) for an hour, I was pulling it along and had to lift it up over a curb, the metal handle pulled out of the dolly, ruining it. Some tape from a convenience store got it back in one piece again, long enough to get home and throw the dolly in the trash.

11. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    Keep the beer safe man its important after a hard day of shooting!!

and i think if your using a dedicated photo bag and not some clothing designed thing then youll be fine

12. No TTASv2 in Houston, Dallas or SA. Did find one in Austin, so drove over and picked it up.

West East TX is dry - dead grass everywhere and many pine going russet, Austin is cooked, farms for sale everywhere and many shut down - no equipment and no people. Very few cattle out grazing. Creeks under highways are dry, stock ponds are scummed over with duck weed or bone dry. Making a living off the land has been so brutal lots seem to have given up. Funny thing is, every so often you drive through a mile wide belt of lush green everything - thunderstorm tracks. Probably some interesting photos from 40K feet up.

13. gladjo

gladjo Guest

Carry less stuff? :biggrin:

14. NEVER! Why else spend the money on glass unless you can haul it to the shoot because you MIGHT need it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.