My Camera Story

As soon as i started getting into photography, all of my family was basically saying that they wished i bought my grandpa's camera from the auction about 5 years ago. before i just complained that it was film and didn't really interest me.

I am the youngest grandchild and my grandfather retired in 1988 around when i was born, he's been using cameras for all of his life and for every christmas or family event the same camera was always there and he was always the one trying to beat the timer on the camera to get into the pictures! i love to say he was the best man that i've ever known, i've never seen him get angry, everything about his mood and way of life made me better.

well i kinda got the bug to start on film now so i ended up calling a relative of mine that purchased his gear from the auction.

he was very considerate saying since i'm his grandson he was going to give the gear for free. but i urged i would pay him for it.

i went to his house last friday (bout an hour drive) and looked at his stuff for a bit. of course he wouldn't let me give him any money, he says he forgot how much he paid at auction for it.

i also figured out a book idea to give to my sisters/parents and my grandmother. i am going to make a book on the 2hr drive to my grandparents house, there are many stops we've made and sites we see on the drive that will always be stuck in our head, and since we've all grown up we won't ever really be making that drive all together again. so it would be a simple idea to leave on a shelf or on the end table to remember and take a look back.

Well onto the pictures, my flickr account is full for the month and i can't get pro for some reason so i'll just upload a few of them.

dljhnq.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

w7blnl.jpg

73exiu.jpg

wu1c2p.jpg

When i showed it to my mom, she was like that isn't his camera, but he's never really taken it out of the leather case other than reloading it with film.

sorry for the large large photos, i forgot to resize while uploading. camera isn't in that bad of condition for age/use, but i never plan on getting rid of it, its so priceless to me. i hope i'm able to get a lot of rolls of film through it before it dies. its been next to my bed each night already.

also got a spiratone 400mm f6.3 lens seems a little dark, but i've never seen or didn't know he owned it.

i also got an 8mm video camera as well, brand is konica, looks 1960 ish. don't plan on using that to much since its 8mm ha, but it will make for nice decoration and to have more of his things with me.

Attachments

• dljhnq.jpg
    dljhnq.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 39
  • dljhnq.jpg
    dljhnq.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 35
  • dljhnq.jpg
    dljhnq.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 41
Great story. Stuff like that has sentimental value that can't be measured in dollars.

My advice: Send it to KEH for a complete CLA. When it comes back, it'll be like new and it just might last until film is discontinued.

It has been very refreshing for me to read your post. A young person interested in film photography? Unheard of, or at least not something I see often. Obviously, as Mark mentioned, the camera has a sentimental value for you.
Let me tell you something about the Minolta X700 that perhaps you are not aware of. It is in my opinion one of the best cameras Minolta made. The 50mm f2 lens I am not familiar with but I do know the 50mm f1.8 very well for its great image quality. In general, it is very difficult to go wrong with any 50mm lens since they are all built to great standards.
I second Mark on his suggestion of sending the camera for service. These cameras are easy to work with and an adjustment of the meter and shutter speeds along with a good cleaning and lubrication will put new life in it. Try to get the instructions and become thoroughly familiar with it before you put it to good use.
Now you have a camera that does not require to set a WB. You will not have the advantage of reviewing an image after you shoot but nobody did that before the introduction of digital. Playing with manual shutter speeds and lens openings will increase your pleasure of using the camera and it will put you to think before squeezing the shutter, in other words, it will make you a better photographer.
If you digitize the negatives now you can work digitally as if you had one of those expensive full frame cameras. Use low grain film and be ready for great results.
Your Minolta is a great tool and you should be able to get genuine Minolta lenses for it on the cheap.
Congratulations!

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Great story. My son can tell a similar one with the Minolta XK that I gave him that my dad gave me. We used that camera for capturing many great memories. The gear itself will have as many fond memories for you as the photo's themselves. Enjoy!!

I can only say that you have a great camera...I haved owned the Minolta X-700, the motor drive MD-1, and a 360 flash since 1980. The camera is still going strong and doubt that I will sell it.

Good story.

thanks guys, i've cleaned it up and it looks like its brand new, i love it.

but i think i'm getting a film bug cuz i put 2 bids on other film rangefinders on ebay tonight, they are small and good looking, most of all i think they are fun! plus being cheap helps when i can get a camera for less than 100 vs getting a d300 or a d700!

Before you start bidding on film cameras, you should make sure that you really enjoy film photography. It's a different animal. I'm not trying to discourage you, but you need to know that it's not like digital. Film takes commitment.

Once again I am in agreement with Mark. Try your Minolta with some fine grain film and see if you really enjoy using film.
I bet that after you cleaned your X-700 it looks great but still I would consider sending the camera for lubrication, internal cleaning and adjustments.

William.

Latest threads

Top Bottom