my camera strap ~ SNAP FAILED!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Uncle Pug, Aug 7, 2008.

1. First let me apologize for the quick PnS photos. I'm sorry. :redface:

I hand stitched a loop on the left side of my camdapter plate using a sewing awl and some very stout thread/cordage.

I don't even remember what this *Travel-Pro* strap is from. Maybe a laptop case.. maybe... something else... I don't know...

Anyway, I liked the curved shoulder pad and heavy duty swivels with spring loaded snaps... and it works great, even with the 70-200vr.

At first I didn't think I'd like the fact that the shoulder pad is stiff and wants to lay flat when there is no weight on it. However I found that when I bring my camera up to shoot the strap naturally swings around and lays flat against my back. Flat is good there.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2009
  2. Great idea, Ron...
    thanks for the pictures...
    they are helpful, and not so bad...
    they show us what we need to see!
    I will have to try this out for comfort...
    that is the main thing I am concerned about.

3. Do you have a plate on the bottom of your camera with an attachment point? BTW, the reason I went with a loop is so that I could still slide the Camdapter plate into my tripod ballhead clamp. I though about using a metal D-ring for security but that wouldn't have worked.

4. I have the wimberley camera plate...
    I will have to check it out to see if I have any area to which to attach.

5. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
    Looks great but be careful. That latch looks like it could easily open and cause the camera to drop. I have the Black Rapid strap and I heard that the first generation had a problem with the latch opening and that the owner of the company had to buy a D3 and some glass when the latch opened. The fix was to put a small piece of tubing to help prevent accidental unlatching.

6. It looks like it could (and I hope it never does) but since it is a split catch (both sides are hook shaped) even when opened the camera still hangs on one hook or the other (in testing.)

If I were using a *sliding bolt* snap (Black Rapid?) or a *spring gate* snap where just one side had the hook and the other was a straight gate then a bit of tubing on the gate side that could be slide down to engage the hook side would be good insurance.

7. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
    Ahhh You should be fine then.

Cheers Mate!

8. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    My first thought was... nice idea! Second thought was..change those clips and web strap!!

They were first used on sailboats as QR clasps. They are NEVER to be used under high load or critical clamping. Duplicate the same design but use a caribiner or an eye snap..

As I ponder it, what about attaching your loop to a quick release clamp and the clamp to the plate? You'll have no problem with the BH plate and something more rugged than the web strap.

9. The webbing loop on the plate is bomb proof... well... a small bomb. It is the same size as the wrist strap webbing on the other side of the camera and the same size as the webbing on the official Nikon neck strap. The only problem would be my stitching. :rolleyes: 

The *clasps* seem very secure. The laptop case they were intended for weighed more (with laptop) than the D300 and lens. Similar critical piece of equipment. The only way that the clasp can open is if the lever is activated.

I would caution against a caribiner unless it is of the locking variety. If the loop or d-ring rides up on the gate and inward pressure is put on it, it will open and then the loop or d-ring can slip off instantly.

All that said... it still gives me pause to just let the camera hang there at my side without a hand on it. :biggrin:

10. fivegrand

fivegrand Guest

I did something similar with the neck strap lugs: Stock neckstrap, but I removed the metal loops on the camera studs. On one of the studs I put a heavy keyring loop, and have a carabiner that stays on the neckstrap loops that locks into the keyring loop. Bombproof, comes off quickly and easily, and hangs the camera from one shoulder at just the right angle to grab it and bring it to bear quickly, no matter which side it's on.

11. Snap failed ~ felt I should update and eat some crow.

Several of you mentioned that this snap looked like a potential failure point. You were right... it did fail.

Fortunately not while the camera was dangling from it. Whew! The spring that closes the snap failed and the snap would no longer work.

I replaced it with a SS screw together shackle and a carabiner (as Michael and Jon suggested.) I also have a nylon ziptie loop on the D700's upper left neckstrap ring that is larger enough to act as a safety.
    This was a temporary fix until I got home from Hawaii but it seemed very secure and allowed me to clamber around on some rocky cliffs with both hands free. I might end up changing things a bit... or not.

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.