My chance at some Burrowing Owls

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Aug 7, 2017.

1. A few weeks ago we got word of some burrowing owls on the other side of the mountains. I was not able to go when Bill Dewey and Louie went a couple of weeks ago. Last week Bill and I were able to go after work and shoot the late afternoon and next morning before heading back home. The light was very nice in the late afternoon, morning was much harder given where the owls were. Any way I took a lot of shots. Here is a small sample. I never get tired of watching these little owls. They have so much personality.

1. Pair perched.
    p2454192953-6.

2. Ready for takeoff.
    p2454192970-5.

3. I really like this one. The back owl flew first allowing both owls to be in focus.
    p2454192975-5.

4. Shaking things up.
    p2454192832-5.

5. Owl in morning light on hay pile.
    p2454193018-5.

6. Funny face
    p2455008863-6.

7. Looking for food
    p2455008913-5.

8. Wings out
    p2455008980-5.

9. Bill let me shoot this one on the way out. I had to post it as it made me laugh.
    p2454192902-6.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hey, Jim, wanted to sneak in and be the #1 reply for a bunch of #1 photo's! If I didn't know better I'd swear we were there at the same time ;)

I don't know about you, but I smile every time I look at these. Too bad you didn't take more time to photograph the Mormon Crickets, Louie should would have ...

Love the last one.

3. mnp13

mnp13

Jul 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I love all these owl posts!!! We are going to Montana in a couple weeks, I'm hoping we can find some.

4. These are the kinds of days and images that makes it all so worthwhile, good for you! So many great shots hard to choose a favorite!

5. Terrific set. Wish I had that kind of luck when I tried to photograph a few of these owls.

6. The expression on the faces of these owl's is a crack up. They certainly have a personality. Excellent photography.

7. Well Jim you have to be very pleased with this group of shots, great work. Love the backgrounds and perches. Glad you were able to get over there before they are gone for the year. Good job with the DOF on those take-off shots of two owls.

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Great set!!!! You nailed these! Nice work! (although I doubt any of us would consider this "work"! LOL!)

9. This is my fav set from all 3 of you guys
    Your pics are really clean, great isolation and separation

10. I agree with Randy. Great set, lots of variety.

11. Great series! I can't pick a favorite. Jeff

12. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Burrowing Owls are always a delight but I particularly like the "poised for flight" shots with their open wings.

13. Wonderful photos, Jim. I like the composition in the first one, and that last one is a hoot!

14. I may have to go back for the Morman Crickets. I know you tried to get me to get out of the car. I have to thank you for that last shot. I really got a kick out of it.

15. Thanks. Hope you find them. They are so fun to watch.

16. Thanks Andreas. It has been a fun year so far.

17. Thanks Rich. They are sure fun to watch.

18. Thanks much Gordon. They are some of the funniest owls I have ever seen.

19. Thanks Louie. I was so happy to have been able to get over there as you know.

20. Thanks Karen. A little bit of work in the sense it was way hot and very dusty. Fun none the less and much better than real work.