My D200 and My D70...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Jeff Lee, May 31, 2007.

1. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    After gentely introducing them yesterday, they are getting along just fine. The D70 has become my "point and shoot" and the D200 will get the tough jobs:biggrin: Leaves the 4500 a little upset thought.

The D200 after just a 100 shots is everything everyone says it is.

Please don't shoot me, but for 15 years I was the advertising/marketing manager at Ritz Camera Centers during their growth from 21 to 400 stores. I had the use of many a fine camera during that time (favorite was an RB67 and a series of F's), but I don't think I've ever had a camera that felt as good and had everything I really need in such a small package.

While I still think of the D70 as a "Modern Classic" for bringing the first very capable Digital SLR to the prosumer market, I think the D200 is a camera that can last for 5 or 6 years more for me.

First thing I did was shoot some "black cat in a coal mine" shots - ISO800 was great, even 1600 was not bad - Noise Ninja really fixed any issues.

Speed with my 80-200 f2.8 and 300 AFS f4 is significanly faster than my D70. After about 25K of shots I could get the birds in flight with the D70, but I'm sure that my keeper rate will be significantly better with the D200 which was the main reason I got the D200.

I like the feel better with my bigger lenses, but can still see where my D70 and the 12/24 and 24/80 will be my carry around just in case there is a photo op camera/lens set.

All in All, I can tell from the first day, I am going to like this camera. I don't know if I will "love it" like my D70 or Cp4500 which were really something special at the time I got them, but the D200 is clearly a better imaging platform.

I shot about 10 images in raw with each of my lenses - 12/24, 24-85 D, 80-200 f2.8 2 ring, 300 AFS f4 (with TC1.4), and Tamron 90. All I can say is that at ISO100 wide open each past the CA, color and sharpness test. In fact the most surprising thing was that each looked better with the D200, with the 24-85 being excellent where it was just very good with my D70 (I think its the better AF system with the D200).

I'm using compressed raw right now only because I only have 2 Gig and 1 Gig cards. But they look very good on my 19" screen.

2. kevin.sinn

kevin.sinn Guest

Congratulations!

I gave up my D70 for my D200. I agree - the D200 is a camera I will have for the foreseeable future. When I bought the D70 it was my entry into the DSLR world. I knew one day I would upgrade to a more "pro" level camera and - when I felt the time was right - I did. The D70 was a wonderful camera. I sometime wish I would have kept it as you did.

Cheers!

3. I kept my D70s. Carry that one with me everyday. Wife also uses it. And now my wife is really liking photography and loves the D70s. At first she was a little intimidated with it. Oh and course I love the D200. It just rocks.

4. I still have both my D70 and my D200. I typically use the D200, but when I recently shot the United States Rottweiler Club's National show, and the house fire local to me, I loaded up both cameras. Depending on "what" I am shooting, I've tended to bring the 28-70 and the 80-200, with the decision of "which lens on which body" being driven by the focusing speed/shooting speed of the D200.

If I know I'll be shooting most of my "bursts" in close proximity, the 28-70 goes on the D200 with the long lens on the D70 for the occasional reach (as needed). For the house fire, I had the longer lens on the D200, knowing that I wouldn't be getting in too close.

It's nice to have both bodies available, each loaded with a different lens. :smile:

5. Enjoy the D200 and D70 combination. I know I am. We're off on holiday to the Lake District next week and my wife will be using the D70 and I'll be using the D200. This could of course mean fights for lenses........

Ronnie

6. My first DSLR was the D70 and I was enchanted, thrilled. Blew my beloved Coolpix 995 right out of the water! However, when the D200 was announced in November of 2005, I couldn't resist the siren song and got my name on a pre-order list. The day in mid-December that I brought the D200 home, I was definitely intimidated. So many new buttons....it was heavier...

Baptism of fire was a trip that I took shortly afterward and by the end of that trip my D200 and I were in love. The D70 languished while I played with my new toy. A time came when I needed two camera bodies so I took both to an event and had different lenses on each.... I found that it was frustrating, as I had become so accustomed to the D200 that I missed all the buttons and such when using the D70 again. Finally I decided that the way to go was to get a second D200 as backup, and one day I was able to do just that when standing in a camera shop unfamiliar to me, in there to buy something else. For some unknown reason I suddenly found myself asking about the D200. They actually had one in stock! (This was during that time when they were hard to find). Bought it immediately. Well.... the D70 had to go... I did find that I was much happier having two identical bodies, but I have to say that I do think fondly of that D70.... Hope she's happy in her new home!

7. I do find that an issue Connie.......I've become so used to the D200 that I can't find stuff or remember it in a split second on the D70.

I'm hoping one day that I might swap the D70 out for a D2H or D2Hs. I'd like to have that focusing speed for sports/dogs/birds.

8. For a very long time I told myself that I needed to "be ready" before I purchased a "pro" body.... Well, my D200 unintentionally was the stepping-stone towards that as I used it and used it and used it and learned each time I went out shooting..... One day I went to the camera shop and came home with the D2Xs. Again, some intimidation but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the learning curve was not as bad between the D200 and the D2Xs as it was between the D70 and the D200. I use both camera bodies on a shoot and have no problems switching between the D200 and the D2Xs, as there are more similarities than there are differences as far as the button arrangements and so on. Fortunately, as I'm sure not going to go out and buy a second D2Xs as backup!! LOL!

I still love my D200.... :Love: but I have to admit I love my D2Xs even more. :Love: :Love: :Love: Once you get one of the D2 bodies in your hands and start shooting with it, you see and feel some of the differences. The focusing speed is incredible, the quality of images is wonderful...

I forgot in my earlier post to congratulate Jeff, the original poster, on his newest "family member!" I wish for you many happy shooting sessions with your new D200!

9. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    I thinking I've got another 50 or 60 K's worth of images to do now before I think of the "next body". Having been a photographer for a very long time, I still don't think I'm approaching what I could get out the D70 (of course I've been using photoshop for a very long time and often end up with 6 or 7 layers on each of my "keepers") but I am sure that the D200 is very close to the camera of my dreams.

I'm gonna program the different user settings for my normal different subject types. Tomorrow is for the Birds, and I plan on a 4 or 5 hour shoot to get to know the camera.

So, tommorow it is the D200 with my 300 & TC's and my D70 with the Tamron 90 for the Dragonflys . I have two consulting appointments today otherwise I'd be starting early.

I've never used any brand as a personal camera since I got my first Nikkormat in Vietnam...hmmm almost 40 years ago now, doesn't seem possible. The only other small camera I've considered was a Leica, because I just love the contrast levels that come from those lenses. However, CS and the Nikkors come close.

How long do you keep smiling when you pick up your D200 - a week, month, forever?

10. Each and every time.....forever! :smile: