My D2H has arrived today!!!

Yes; it only took 2 days only from Hong Kong and because of what the seller put on the box I have not had to pay any tax (VAT) or handling charge. A bit naughty really, but it saved me $500.

Now for the question. The D70 underexposed like mad. Does the D2H do the same and is there an +exposure setting that any of you use to offset this. ie. like plus one third. (+1/3rd.) If any of you have any other tips then I would be most grateful.

After my D70 it feels very heavy, which is not a good thing for a man with two lung diseases and a 80-400mmm VR to haul about. So I am putting an advert in the local paper for a nubile young lady to come and act as a carrier and resting/steadying device. If I get more than one candidate does anybody want me to pass their details on. I will of course post a picture of said lady taken with MY NEW D2H!!!

Yabba Dabba Doo :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) :) :) :) :)

Bob F.

Many thanks

I have always been very very pernickity when it comes to gauging exposure. I always have been, or at least I have since I discovered centre spot and spot metering with my first Leica SLR. so I do not think it will be problem. The D70 really did underexpose, and consequently there was a lot of work in 'Levels.'

When will you see some results? Well if the weather is good, and the tide is right then I am off at the weekend to Hayle Estuary to take pictures of Waders. These damn birds are taking over my life and you lot are to blame.

Bw. Bob F.

Re: Many thanks

Bob the Spiderman said:
I have always been very very persnickety when it comes to gauging exposure. I always have been, or at least I have since I discovered centre spot and spot metering with my first Leica SLR. so I do not think it will be problem. The D70 really did underexpose, and consequently there was a lot of work in 'Levels.'

When will you see some results? Well if the weather is good, and the tide is right then I am off at the weekend to Hayle Estuary to take pictures of Waders. These damn birds are taking over my life and you lot are to blame.

Bw. Bob F.

Congrats Bob. I predict that you will love it, and that the weight won't bother you for long. I took some shots at a baseball game a couple of weeks ago, and after hauling the D2H, 3221 tripod, Acratech Ultimate ballhead, Sidekick, and 300 2.8 around for months, the D2H + 70-200VR felt like a feather.... :lol:

I personally have no sympathy for you on the birdie obsession front. I'm just glad to have another pal to share the misery (uh, I mean joy....;-)).

Regards,

Frank

D2H / D2X and Exposure Compensation

After having had shot thousands of images between the two cameras, I can't imagine shooting much of anything without exposure compensations.

The owl shots which I posted the other day had +.7EV applied. My Harrier shots which I posted recently have had anywhere from +.3 to plus 1.7 EV compensation applied. If you shoot against a blue or brighter sky, there is no way you can correctly expose the bird without positive EV....except in the case where you deliberately underexpose the sky in order to hold blowing the highlights on the bird.

Frequently, as I track a bird in flight or with grass / sky / trees as a backdrop, I may adjust EV compensation every couple of seconds without ever looking up from the viewfinder.

The D2H / D2X metering system is meant to be shot this way.

enjoy your new toy...after getting used to the weight...you will notice it is very balanced and wish you always had a vert grip...

please share your new images

Latest threads

Top Bottom