1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My D3 arrived...

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by liftoff, Aug 18, 2008.

1. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    and I promptly returned it. The problem? I should have gone to my local camera store to get a feel for it's size. The D3 is HUGE!!! Not just tall but thick.

It wasn't an easy decision as the thing just oozed quality. I think the smaller D700 or even the D300 might be a better fit for me, not just size wise either. I'm planning on going to Tempe Camera tomorrow for a "hands on" test.

2. I could've told you that before you got it; did you even research before buying it or just got it because it's the "it" camera?

3. you returned the camera because it was too LARGE for you?
    did you even shoot with it?

to each his own, larry
    the D3 is a lot of money.... glad you sent it back if you didn't like the way it felt in your hands

4. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wow! Why didn't I ask you before I bought it? Had I known you knew it was just a little to much for me to lug around I could have saved you the trouble of your response but then evryone wouldn't have had the chance to see just how bright you are! A little more research on my part would have also revealed it was a DSLR not an SLR which was frankly rather dissapointing.

I thought the D700 was the "it" camera at the moment.

5. Wow, I can't imagine spending that kind of money without trying something out first.

6. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not to large as far as "fit" goes, I'm a pretty big boy, but too large to carry around with me everywhere I go, just doesn't fit my style.

No, I didn't take any shots with it. Once I saw how big it was I knew it was going back immediately and the thought of opening up all the packaging and charging the batteries etc and shooting with it didn't feel right.

7. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Different strokes Gretchen!

The reviews I've read here and elsewhere have shown it is worth the money.

8. a very honest way to deal with it, Larry
    sorry that it wasn't what you wanted

as i said.....
    it's YOUR money... get what YOU want.... 100%

9. No he was being sarcastic.

10. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    ???

That's my dry humour.

Come on people...pile it on...show just how angry you are with me! :cool: 

11. Hmm must have hit a nerve. However there are many pictures floating around, especially on this site with the D3 and the D3 next to many other of Nikon's DSLRs. Also dimension and weight specifications compared to the specificiations from the D80 would have also given you a good idea for how much bigger it would be. Now whoever you bought the camera from will have to file a credit with their Nikon supplier to return it to them, who will then have to put the camera up as refurbished.

12. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'll get right on that!

13. Retailers are probably not loving me a great deal. I currently have a GM3551 and GM5541 and will evaluate them and return the one I do not prefer. From RRS I have two different variations of the MH-01 on order and will decide if I want the lever or knob version and return the other. If the retailer wants me to quit buying from them all they have to do is let me know. However they want our business if we have money to spend. I treat everything very gently because I know that it is unreasonable for the item to require a refurb prior to resale.

Get what you want, it's your money!

14. It's not so much that anything got damaged and needs to be refurbished but you're not supposed to resale opened electronics as new.

15. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If that is even true, maybe they should change their return policy then huh?

Yeah you hit a nerve when you told me in so many words that you of all people could have told me so. Don't try to slink out of it.

16. Most of them do, I'm surprised you didn't get charged a restocking fee.

I'm not trying to slink out of anything, I could've told you the D3 was going to be huge. It's 6.3"x6.2"x3.4" and it's 2.7 pounds w/o battery. Your D80 is 5.2"x4.1"x3" and weighs 1.3 pounds w/o battery.

17. liftoff

liftoff

Dec 21, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Below is a small excerpt on B&H's liberal Return Policy taken directly from their website. If you need more I included a link to the entire thing.

"At B&H, our goal is to ensure your complete satisfaction with your purchase. If, for whatever reason, you are dissatisfied with your purchase, you can return it to B&H within 15 days of receipt of item(s). Claims for damaged or missing items must be received within two business days of receipt of merchandise.

You have the option of exchanging the item(s) or receiving a refund for the full amount of the original purchase price. Refunds on returned items will be issued in the same payment form as tendered at the time of purchase. If payment was made by check, the refund check will be issued 10 business days after the date of purchase.

Please read all conditions below. If conditions are not met, B&H reserves the right to refuse the return or to charge a restocking fee of 15%."

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/ReturnExchange.jsp

18. Well obviously they don't have a restocking fee since you never got charged one, I was not implying that they did either except that you got lucky since your vendor did not have one. Kudos to you though, enjoy your D700 or whatever you decide to get in place, just make sure you do the research next time.

19. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I'm gonna say this is the reason.

20. Send it to me and I'll send you my D200.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.