My D300 is acting weird

My D300 with a little over 8000 shots suddenly started acting weird today. I was out shooting dragonflies and had taken 10-20 shots with no problems. I decided to put on a Kenko tube when I discovered that all my shots were way too dark, at least 3 stops. I took of the tube with the same result and shot a few shots with +3 EV. Suddenly it was back to normal for the rest of the day although some shots were overexposed and some were underexposed.

Has anybody experienced the same? Would cleaning the contact help or should I send it to Nikon for service? Bought in January 2008 and I'd rather not be without a camera in the dragonfly season.

No Keith I haven't. I thought the improvements were too unsignificant but I will certainly try that.

Mine was acting very wierd like that a few weeks ago and then I realized I had left the bracketing on from the last time I had used it.

I've done the bracketing thing more than once. The only thing that *saved* some of the shots was RAW. It's so frustrating when I forget something simple like that.

It is also frustrating when one shot is waaay overexposed- the next is normal- and the next is waaay underexposed- and you can't figure out why. :redface:

I've done the bracketing thing more than once. The only thing that *saved* some of the shots was RAW. It's so frustrating when I forget something simple like that.

I just got mine today and was ready to return it after I made that mistake. It was shooting fine in 'S' mode, but any continuous burst sounded like the shutter was choking, even breaking. It was just putting on the brakes after the bracket series was done. I felt pretty dumb. I'm loving it though!!!! Screams at 8 fps!!! Amazing. And the ISO noise REALLY is that much better than the D200. I actually took one today at 6,400 which is very noisy, but usable.

Have you checked the lens with a different body?

Had this problem once with a faulty apperture-mechanic in a 60mm micro. or maybe the apperture lever on the tubes is broken/jammed.

Definitely try a different lens before sending the body in! :Crunk:

Contacts is another big problem with these newer nikons, I've had to very hardly clean all the lenscontact in Camera, lens and on both sides of my tubes and tcs before every was working fine....

Torben,
Sorry to hear about this. I will be curious to find out what it was, if you ever figure it out. My D300 is right at the 8K mark as well......

Thanks Michael and Paul. I tried some shots today with different lenses without being able to replicate the problem. Now that I think about it I did have a few very underexposed shots last week when I was up shooting dragonflies in Sweden. I didn't think much of it at that time because the rest of the pics were fine. I have now updated the firmware and I'll order some Deoxit (I think it's called) and try cleaning the contacts.

Another thing to consider, make sure the lens is securely mounted. I've had more times with the D300 that the lens has come loose and rotated slightly causing contact failures. It has to do with the location and design of the lens release button, it seems to be in a location I'm always rubbing against. The D300 is also well known for dirty contact issues. Between cleaning the contacts, making sure the lens is attached and the frimware upgrade, you should be fine.

Mine was acting very wierd like that a few weeks ago and then I realized I had left the bracketing on from the last time I had used it.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's done that. :redface:

Torben, I hope you can get the issue sorted out.

My D300 with a little over 8000 shots suddenly started acting weird today. I was out shooting dragonflies and had taken 10-20 shots with no problems. I decided to put on a Kenko tube when I discovered that all my shots were way too dark, at least 3 stops. I took of the tube with the same result and shot a few shots with +3 EV. Suddenly it was back to normal for the rest of the day although some shots were overexposed and some were underexposed.

Has anybody experienced the same? Would cleaning the contact help or should I send it to Nikon for service? Bought in January 2008 and I'd rather not be without a camera in the dragonfly season.

One odd thought... were you stooting on tripod? I sometimes get underexposed shots because I take my eye off from the viewfinder letting light enter the eyepiece and fool the meter. I don't always remember to cover the eyepiece with my hand or hat. In M mode all is well but but in A or S mode the exposure setting will change and cause underexposure.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Yes Peter, I was using a tripod and I thought: Yes, that's it but as I alway shoot with mirror lock up, wouldn't that prevent light from the viewfinder to effect the exposure?

Well, I did update the firmware and have taken a couple of hundred shots under similar conditions since without any problems. I wonder if there are more to that upgrade in firmware than we are told on Nikon's website?

....I wonder if there are more to that upgrade in firmware than we are told on Nikon's website?

I'm with ya there. I'll be interested to see if you notice an improvement regarding AF performance when you photograph your dogs in action the next time since the firmware update.

It may simply be my imagination, but.... :)

I tried the 80-200mm on the dogs as you suggested. The AF seemed to have improved but maybe it's just my imagination too. :smile:

F

fivegrand

A friend of mine in *Norway* emailed me a few days ago having problems with the *exact same things*, while shooting *dragonflies* (sound of Twilight Zone music).

Maybe the Scandanavian dragonflies have camera juju...LOL

Latest threads

Top Bottom