My D70 is gone...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Mar 14, 2005.

1. My D70 is gone... to the Nikon Hospital for terminal dust problems :cry:. Actually, it's more serious than dust.
    There's a "stained" area... a large dark blobish shape... at the lower right of the frame. I could probably clean it with
    the Eclipse approach, but I'd rather have Nikon do it for me. And since my warranty runs out in May, this will be my
    last chance to get a free tune up.

So, I'm back to shooting the venerable cp5700 for a few weeks. Phil Youngblood's in the same position, so we're
    having a contest to see who can take the best people-pic with a digicam while our d70s are being repaired.

Here's a a 5700 duck I shot today using the 1.5x teleconverter. I just remembered that there is no such thing
    as selective focus when using a digicam :roll:.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Those CP's are still nice. I'm looking at getting my wife an 8400 or an 8800 here pretty soon.

Anything I should know about?

3. Nice!!! :D :D :D :D

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sorry to hear about your D70 UF. I know how totally out of it I felt when I had to send in my d2H to have the metering repaired. :(

I hope you get it back soon. ;-)

Frank

5. I just squeeked a $960 repair into Nikon before my waranty expired on my D100. Not only that but it was still working OK. Nice duck shot by the way.

6. No, they're pretty amazing little cameras. But after you use a dslr for a while, it's tough to go back.

If you're looking at the big zoom 8800, you might want to check out the Panasonic FZ20 as well. I haven't used one,
    but it's reputed to be the best in class.

7. Thanks, Dawg!

8. Thanks, Frank! Nikon is quoting a 7 working-day turn-around, but there are no guarantees.

9. Thanks, Gordon! Yes, it makes a lot of sense to find a reason to send in the camera for a final warranty tune up 8).

10. Yeah, but I'm going to cheat, though. For my subject, I'm going to pick a "Really Good Looking Girl"tm so talent, technique, and exposure will be just minor points. Of course, paying -- erm, I mean "picking" the right judges will be critical to my success. Dirty old men sounds good to me. :lol:

Phil

11. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Hmmmm, let's see.

1) Really Good Looking Girl

2) Graft and corruption

3) Must be Dirty Old Man.

HEYYYYY, I'm the guy! These not only meet my resume, but also my definition of an ideal job.

Neil

12. ROFL

You're hired!! :wink:

Phil

13. Frank,

That's too bad... :cry: Do you really think it's a dirty sensor problem, or could it be something more serious that you would be glad (!) to have the warranty cover?

I haven't sent mine in yet, for general checking, cleanup and pixel remapping (I have a couple at 1/30s), and I have just about 2 weeks left on my warranty! Come on, Philippe, stop procrastinating and send your camera in, now! :roll: The thought of being without for 2-3 weeks or more is just too painful... :oops:

14. I think there's something on the sensor, Philippe, like oil. I sure hope they can get it off, and that it's covered by the warranty.

Get moving, Philippe. Make a copy of your receipt, box up your camera, and send it to Nikon for that final FREE cleanup. You'll regret it if you don't.

Hmmm, on the other hand, if you don't, maybe it will break sooner and give you justification for buying a d2x :twisted:.

15. I wish I still had my CP5700, but necessity insisted that I traded it when getting the D70.

But if I still had it I might be more inclined to send my D70 for a check up before the warranty expires at the end of this month.

As it is, I'm operating on a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" principle.

I hope you get yours back asap, Frank, and in tip-top condition.

16. It certainly helped me make the decision, Clive, but, as Phil and I have both discovered, after using a d70, the 5700's results aren't very satisfying :?.

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

18. Uncle Frank,

How come you didn't purchased an extended warrenty on the camera? Did Nikon not offer one?

I know I had to for D2X so now I have a total of 3 years. I can't afford to have it fixed if it breaks down on me. I am thankful everyday that I spent over 500.00 for the warrenty.

19. I always self-insure electronic items. Their highest risk of failure is the first 90 days, which is covered by manufacturers' warranty. After that, the biggest risk is breakage through mishandling, loss, or theft. I've got those covered by a personal articles insurance policy, which costs 1.25% of the original price of the equipment per year.