My D700 Has Arrived! :-)

(hope this is the right area to post this?)
Finally I decided it was time to upgrade so I ordered the D700 from B&H last Wed for a Fri delivery and it came in around lunchtime. Man I love/hate my Credit Card...lol. I got home and carefully unpacked everything and checked it out. Charged the new battery and started playing with the settings.

I like the fact it is a little bigger and heavier and I am still considering whether or not to get the grip for it. I have been playing with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 inside the house because it is raining and cold outside.

I went to the Virginia Auto Show at the Richmond Convention Center today and took some shots with the 50mm and also the 18-200mm VR (DX mode of course). I will try to look at all of these shots tomorrow sometime and then maybe post some on here. After about an hour of walking around, camera hanging some, I saw that the LCD protective screen already had scratches on it. I guess the metal zipper on my light jacket was rubbing it? Not sure but that is my best guess right now.

So far I am impressed with how low lighting doesn't seem to hurt this camera as much as the D300. I hope to have a buyer for the D300 tomorrow but will only believe it once the CASH is in my hands.

From this THREAD I posted last month, I still am thinking on lens choices but thanks for everyone's help on lenses and I am sure I will be asking more questions very soon. I need some FX lenses now!

Last edited by a moderator:
UGH
why is my bday JUUUUST close enuf that i cant get a d700 for myself NOW!

NOW NOW NOW! *stomps foot impatiently*

hehe

UGH
why is my bday JUUUUST close enuf that i cant get a d700 for myself NOW!

NOW NOW NOW! *stomps foot impatiently*

hehe

Now, now, Now! Patience... :smile:
Your day will come. It is a very nice camera! Good luck in getting yours soon.

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
Congrats on the D700. No chance you want to keep the D300 as a spare/backup camera? Personally, I think the D300 and D700 are the best of both worlds, and a great team. Of course, if you don't do any paid work like weddings etc, having a $1200 backup camera probably doesn't make that much sense.

Congrats on the D700. No chance you want to keep the D300 as a spare/backup camera? Personally, I think the D300 and D700 are the best of both worlds, and a great team. Of course, if you don't do any paid work like weddings etc, having a $1200 backup camera probably doesn't make that much sense.

Wish I could keep it but can't justify it not making any money yet. I hope to be able to at least tell the wife one day that I made a little money with this new one and maybe we will both feel better about what I have invested into this outfit. I am sure I will have to put more into the outfit in the near future because I want some faster glass.

Oh, and by the way, I sold the D300 a couple of hours ago to a dude that drove 5hrs to Richmond to get it from me. He found it on Craigslist where I posted it around a week or so ago. A lot of Craigslist scammers and a couple of legit emails later I have sold the camera. Money going to the Credit Card to pay down the D700 some. Long way to go though still.

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
Wish I could keep it but can't justify it not making any money yet. I hope to be able to at least tell the wife one day that I made a little money with this new one and maybe we will both feel better about what I have invested into this outfit.

Well, you're in luck. This guy has a great system that will show you how to turn your digital SLR and $150 portrait lens into over $100K per year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BoJWPOwHEI :m53:

Congrats on the new D700. I got mine a few weeks ago and I just sold my d200 and will use that to help pay for this new one. I am amazed at the difference in them and I am sure you will love the D700.

Real Name
Jeff
I'd go for the grip.....I love mine.
Did you have the grip for your D300?
I shoot 99% vertically and the grip rules!
I like the weight and feel of the combo.
Jeff

Thank you to everybody on the Congrats!
Been playing with it a little at a car show this past weekend in Richmond but haven't had time to go through all the shots. Hope to post some within this week.

I'd go for the grip.....I love mine.
Did you have the grip for your D300?
I shoot 99% vertically and the grip rules!
I like the weight and feel of the combo.
Jeff

Didn't have a grip but am thinking hard about getting one now.

Latest threads

Top Bottom