My D80 + Sony's GPS-CS1 - will it work?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by CoOokie, Jul 1, 2008.

1. CoOokie

CoOokie

May 4, 2008
    Poland
    Hi. I was wondering if anyone of you has Sony's GPS-CS1. If so, please tell me if I can use it to add locations to photos taken with my D80. I saw on the official Sony's website that it is compatibile with almost all Sony's cameras, but there was not even one from different company (like Nikon). I know that it uses some kind of software to add location to EXIF of your RAW/JPEG and that I must have my DSLR and GPS-CS1 synchronized to be acurate. Please tell me if it will work or not or maybe suggest some other equipment (close to this price).

2. CoOokie

CoOokie

May 4, 2008
    Poland
    No answer? Not even one person knows about D80 and some GPS devices? I'm not narrowing it to Sony's model, I only would like to geotag my photos...

3. Hi Lucas,

Please check out this thread that I started a month or so ago:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=170378

I'm not sure if the Sony unit would work with a Macintosh computer, but I think it would work with a regular PC.

The AMOD unit I have has PC software with it for use on a PC. I found the Macintosh software at the websites listed in post number 10.

There is a lot of information and evaluations of various units here:
    http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=128

Hope this helps,
    Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. CoOokie

CoOokie

May 4, 2008
    Poland
    Thank you Bob, it is very interesting review and it's what I was looking for.

5. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    ATP makes a standalone gps that has a sd card slot on it. you stick your card in it and it automaticly imprints the gps data on the pictures exif based on time just like the sony one. I beleive its $150 usd and the BEST part is.... your not giving any money to sony! :)  LINKED

here is another non sony option basicly same thing as sony unit. but again not giving sony any money :) 

I have a gps that hooks to my D300 and to be honast. as cool as it is. something like this would be alot easier to use in practice. the gps I have is a credit card type with a seperate usb battery that runs it. and the whole thing is a little unweildy. I have a bracket that I rigged up that holds the whole thing to the side off the tripod mount. and it works. but this would be so much simpler.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.