My Dad and I, a Weekend of Riding and Camping in the High Country

A few weeks ago, my Dad and I decided to pack up the bikes and head out for a couple of days of riding and camping in the high country. This time we chose Guanella pass for the camping destination. Guanella pass is a 11,667 ft elevation pass that connects the old mining town of Georgetown to the very small town of Grant, CO. Numerous trails and high mountain lakes are in the area, as well as some old ghost towns and mines.

Here's my Dad, just outside of Georgetown. He saw an old dirt road off the side of the highway and took off, off road to get to it.

9325229878_7a6a2496bf_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

About 70 miles into the trip we rode into Georgetown, Colorado. Georgetown started as a mining camp in 1859. It remains today a very small town, with mostly original buildings still intact. You have to ride right through downtown Georgetown to get to the Guanella Pass road.

9325261044_757aa59e3f_o.jpg

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-13 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Heading up Guanella Pass

9325229404_831e08122f_o.jpg

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

9325229064_8415079481_o.jpg

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

We took the bikes offroad a little and found an old campsite. It looked like as good a location as any so we parked the bikes and started setting up camp. There was a ~200 ft. vertical drop right behind the bike that went down to a swift running creek.

9325260662_0945e8cba8_o.jpg

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-14 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

The tents are up and after a little exploring, we were starting to get hungry. Here's Dad, cookin up the dinner.

9301275408_3b25dc6b5c_o.jpg

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

After dinner, we took the bikes up to the top of the pass for a little photography/videography. Waiting for the skies to get completely dark, we killed time by using our motorcycle headlights to light up some scenes. It was around 9:30 p.m. but not quite dark enough for the milky way yet.

9322435947_b715970ae8_o.jpg

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

9322435177_b28ac49e50_o.jpg

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-6 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

An hour or so later, the Milky Way was starting to become visible to the naked eye. The only problem was, so where the distant Denver lights and low scudding clouds. Here's one of the night shots we were able to get.

9179469666_b1f5039734_o.jpg

29-June-2013-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

A little before midnight, we hopped back on the bikes and tried to find camp. We were successful :D. My Dad hit the hay, but I stayed up a little longer, trying for some more night time shots. Here's on of them, the Milky Way shining through the lantern lit trees.

9177913649_26c34948eb_o.jpg

29-June-2013-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

We got up right before sun-up the following morning and shot a few more photos/video.

9322433819_28f5c1087b_o.jpg

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-10 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

9325225432_fc31cdf401_o.jpg

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-11 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

9322434733_ccd53b4242_o.jpg

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-9 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Back at camp, we made a decent breakfast of LOTS of bacon and eggs, broke camp and headed down off the pass. We wanted to try to get to the Santiago Mine, which was in the area, but once getting to the 4x4 road that headed up there, we discovered the road was too rough for a loaded down V-Strom. My DR650 would have made it easily, but I didn't want my dad to have to wait around a couple of hours for me to make the trip.

So, with that plan not working, we decided to go the long way home and headed up over Berthoud Pass. Here's a photo at the top of the pass, looking west into Winter Park and Grand County.

9325224730_1311fefd30_o.jpg

Guanella-Pass-Ride-Camp-12 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

We rode through Winter Park, Granby, and around Granby Lake, finally coming into the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park, my backyard stomping ground.

Although there wasn't many miles rode (~300) it was a fun weekend trip and a great time spent with my Dad.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

The night photos are amazing. Really nice scenery.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
These are gorgeous!! I love each and every one of these images, and what a way to bond with your dad. I enjoyed the narrative, as well!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Another excellent travelogue! Great images and stories of you and your Dad sharing a common love of the outdoors, photography/video, bikes and each other!

Oh WOW, first you're SO BLESSED to still have your DAD - take advantage of every moment! What an awesome set of photos - can't call a fav, but I'd love to know what Dad cooked up for dinner! I miss our valkyrie so much! We had hoped to do a similar trip. Got more Pics? POST EM!!!!!!!!

Beautiful photographs and story. Glad you guys got together and had so much fun. It really is a very special bond that you have.

Thank you everyone! I know that I am lucky to be able to do these things with my Dad.

We do these ride/camp trips at least once a year. We also regularly go prospecting in the mountains and go shooting together as well. We are lucky that we share many of the same interests.

Your pictures are gorgeous. My brother lives in Cortez so I know about some of these areas. Well done and great that you did it with your Dad.
Although I know you do, please cherish these times with your Dad.
Bless you both!
Greg

I think I'll call my Dad and do some camping. Great set!

Awesome trip and nice write-up. It's cool that you made this trip with your dad. I wish mine was into biking and camping. (he is into horseback riding and hotels).

The photographs are awesome, very well processed and made with attention for detail.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom