My Daughter Hannah

Discussion in 'People' started by rbsmith, Oct 12, 2005.

1. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    This is a recent shot of my daughter Hannah. Can I get you opinion of it. What can be done to improve it with pp.

[​IMG]

2. That's a very nice portrait. Now don't take this as a master advice, but here's what I would try : I'd warm up tones a bit and I would burn in her hands to allow her face to be predominant.

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    First of all your daughter is beautiful. I really don't see much that I would change at all. The only thing that gets me is her right hand, it looks unnatural the position that it is in holding onto the chain. I'm drawn to the hand every time I look at the picture. Sorry, I know you asked for PP critiques.

Thanks for sharing,

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hannah is definately a beautiful young lady. I also cannot offer a post-processing tip...but I would advise to take the image again but don't shoot as tight as in this image. Shoot in a portrait orientation with a bit more of her upper chest showing. The chains and her hands are too dominant in the image and make the image too busy. The background is fine so try to shoot another image that is less busy to highlight Hannah with less emphasis on the chains and her hands.

5. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks for the comments. I see what you are saying about the hands. I will try some more this weekend. Elf_8, I am just learning photoshop. What do you mean by burn in her hands.
    Thanks again.

6. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Rex,

I have to agree with Frank here, the hands and chains detract from the center of intrest which is the face. but there is a post processing tutorial that I did with a couple of Terri's images that ya might want to check out

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=55376

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. PhotoshopCS steps
    new adjustment layer- levels
    choose white eyedropper - select whitest part of earring.
    black eyedropper select darkest part of photo
    adjust sliders to adjust skin tone
    New layer from original
    use magic wand to select teeth adjust tolerance while using shift to add and alt to subtract from selection.
    Adjust brightness of teeth
    use magic wand to select hands
    new adjustment layer levels - reduce level
    New layer
    Use healing brush on skin.
    Flatten image.
    Result:

24110girl-fix2.

8. I forgot to mention she is lovely.
    This attempt was to adjust skin tones only.
    Used levels, selected white eyedropper only on earring, and adjust sliders.
    Do you think these are better or worse than the original? I'm still learning and comments would help me too.

24110girl-tones.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2005
  9. Sorry I'm late. I am talking about using the "Burn Tool" that you will find in the palette, alternatively with the Dodge and the Sponge tools. This tool mimmicks the extra dose of local exposure one could accomplish while exposing a negative onto paper in the darkroom. Using then a piece of cardboard with a hole in it, the photog would cover the entire photographic paper after it had been properly exposed and allow light to pass only through the hole. Sweeping the cardboard over one specific region of the picture, one would "burn in" the selected area.
    Using this simulated procedure using the "Burn tool", my intention is to darken the hands somehow to make the face look relatively lighter. Our sight would normally be more attracted to a brighter area in a photo. It's just a way then to minimize the importance of the hands in the compositon.

I did so, but still I opted to emphasize even more the face by selecting it and applying to it a Lightness Adjustment of +10. Finally, using the curves control, I warmed a bit the tones. Here is what I had :
    [​IMG]

10. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks eveyone. I am going back and try to reproduce what ya'll have done. I am really weak in ps. It helps the have some specifics to work from.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
  11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Fabulous pose, Rex, the smile, the head tilt...Perfect! I'd be glad to walk you through some very basic editing steps if you'd like. you still got my number?

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hope you don't mind.....

I gave it a quick try as I am trying to learn more myself.

She is so beautiful. This is really a nice photo of her. I added some warmth to her skin by adjusting the color balance sliders adding some yellow and red. Then I ran the custom vignette 2 action that I got from Dan White. You can download it at action central. I am using photoshop cs2.

I thought it worked pretty well to make the face the center of interest and de-emphasize the hands.