My Daughter makes her first Holy Communion

Discussion in 'People' started by jklofft, May 15, 2005.

1. My youngest.

A window portrait with a reflector on the opposite side. Taken with a D2h 80 f/1.4

2. She so cute!! Nice shot Jeff!! :D :D :D :D

3. What a cute time in a young girls life. This image will mean more as time goes along.

4. What a beautiful little lady you have there! Can you imagine this - next time she wears a veil & dress will be her wedding! :D

Excellent lighting as well - this really compliments her cheeks and smile.

5. peterdove

peterdove Guest

I hope I am not out of order here offering advice..

I really like this image and your daughter is beautiful but feel that she is being merged into the background too much, I can see that you have done a great job in not blowing out the highlights but this has narrowed the image to a narrow range of midtones and shadows.

I think some good work with layers and masks would help increase the contrast in your daughter to help separate your lovely daughter from the background.

Cheers

Peter

6. Peter,

You make a good point. I could have chosen a better background. We started outside, but it began to rain. With my daughters patience waning, I opted for the quickest lighting set-up that I could.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I took the liberty of tweaking the curves & levels

Granted now, Peter's suggested method of layer masking to do this is much better to keep the bg darker, the way is is now, but I did it the "quick & dirty" way, since I don't know layer masking yet.
    I just moved the upper right corner a little left in curves, then increased the highlights & midtones in levels... that, and cropped it a little tighter, but that's totally a personal preference. Also, I did this on my "surfing puter", not my cal'd photo editing puter, so if it isn't just right, that's why
    Your original:
    with PS tweaks:
    original.

8. I have a few ideas myself.... we need a retouching forum! Do you mind if I have a crack at this one?

9. Sure, go ahead.

10. OK here goes...

I wanted to isolate her from the background a little bit more. I used a vignette and a slightly desaturated layer mask. I pulled up highlights on her skin & dress and in doing so, revealed a pasty orange cast from a wall or reflector. I could remove it from the NEF without much problem, but the small JPG didn't have enough data to effectively remove it. I added a smidge of diffuse glow then pulled it down selectively on another layer mask to add an etherial glow to the highlights.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

11. What a great photo and beautiful little girl. You are a lucky man. Wait till the wedding!

12. I know, I saw your photos. Ouch, I'm not ready and the time goes so very fast.

13. My laptop screen in work is not calibrated (and is way off). I'll check when I get home. Thanks.

14. In the blink of an eye my friend, blink of the eye. :(