My Daughters Ballet

Discussion in 'People' started by simonramsden, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Hi

My 8 year old daughter is in a local ballet performance this week. After months of practicing the dress rehersals were tonight. I managed to get permission to take my camera along - a few odd looks from parents. I have to donate a set of prints to the dance studio.

No flash allowed, so ISO 1600 - noisy or what ? Prompted me to buy Neat Image tonight when I got home. Here's a few images after a bit of Photoshop.

Hope you like them. Loads more to process.

2. Simon,

Great shots! I don't see a hint of noise unless I become really nit-picky and look closely (and I have to get really close to my computer moniter). They turned out wonderful!

3. composition in #1 is right on the mark. All the photos look good. Noise does not seem to be an issue. Surprised you got odd looks, I would think their was many a proud pappa snaping away.

4. EXTREME GOOD PHOTOS... Ok sorry all for screaming. I really find them very good for iso 1600 and use of the lighting that was presented to you. So you did a good job. And for you the light technician did a good job to.

The people who will get the prints from these photo's will be happy people for sure. It is not easy to make photos without flash in these conditions.

So thanks for your wonderfull work. And you have some good compesitions there to.

Greetings,
    Vince

Oh and what kind of borders do you use do you use some plugin or action in photoshop? Oh and maybe you could straighten the first shot with the stage line.

5. They are great I have shot may H.S theater productions and there are very well done

6. Thanks to you all for the comments. I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

Image 1 - yeah its tilted, could I blame a sloping stage ? :biggrin: That's my daughter in the centre.

I think that the majority of parents just saw someone sitting in the front row with a monster camera taking tons of pictures. It was dark and they couldn't see my face. The Organiser and Theatre Manager were cool and as their "official" photgrapher didn't turn up, plus the stand-in only had a little Sony digicam with next to no zoom, they are both keen to get a set of prints.

Vince - the border is a Uncle Frank special - Basically its as follows :

Resize to 800x600 ish
    Create 2x duplicates of the background image.
    Select backround layer - F5 - fill with black
    Select Background Copy #1 - F5 - fill with white
    Image - Canvas Size - increase by 15% long side - 17% short side
    Select Black layer - Apply 25% Gausian Blur
    Select Image (Background copy #2) layer - Layer Style - Bevel & Emboss - apply a inner, downwards, chissel hard edge
    Edit - Stroke 1pt outside
    Add a signature
    Merge all visible layers

Bobs your Uncle - well - Frank actually in this case.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good stuff.. Tough shooting. Cleaned up well if you said they had nice. Don't see any here

Might give shadow/highlights in PSCS
    to see if it would bring up a tad of detail in some of the shadows.

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Simon,

Great shots under difficult conditions. BRAVO!

Having been there and done that, i can appreciate your work involved. I took over 1000 Raw shots during an entire day of dress rehearsals at my daughter's recital last summer, and as you know the processing is huge on the shots.

After geting the Raw conversions/settings preset I let my dual processor CPU work for several hours converting the images, and removing the noise with noise ninja. I too was very surprised with my noise levels shooting at ISO 1600 and I was able to keep shutter speeds up between 1/250-1/500 with my 50mm 1.4 and 180mm 2.8 lens.

nice work, and good luck in the future. A few pics of my daughter and her friends (with permission) located here. http://homepage.mac.com/wadedowdy/photoart/PhotoAlbum44.html

Here she is:

[​IMG]

I too gave some free photos to the owner to get prime location during rehearsal.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2005
  9. Excellent work Simon. I know how difficult that is with the varying lights and movement of the dancers. You have done well.

10. Simon, these are just wonderful (especially #1) given the lighting conditions. What would you have paid for just two or three bursts of fill flash? :smile:

11. I have a lot of ambiguous experience with such lighting situations, so I can whole-heartedly say: Your pics are most excellent!! Even without taking into account the high ISO.
    Cheers

12. Thanks to you all for the encouraging words.

I was a bit apprehensive beforehand, mostly over the which WB setting to use. Fortunately they were running through a lighting test whilst some of the stagehands were still setting up. Allowed be to pick "Incandescent -3" as my WB. It just seemed to give the best flesh tones throughout all the different light sets - shot in RAW anyway. Definitely pays to get to the venue a good 90 minutes before "kick" off.

I've uploaded about another 60 to my pbase site and copied them all to a CD for the Dance School. Hopefully she'll be pleased, hopefully generate a bit of trade from "proud parents" - though I'm not taking any money for this. Treating it as a bit of a loss leader - get my name known by the School and the parents. Any monies can be kept by the School as they are doing refurbishments at the moment.

It's good this, get a real buzz out of all the aspects of the workflow from taking the picture to post processing. I've a lot to learn, especially around cropping and initial composition of shot to try and reduce the need to heavily crop.

Can't wait for the next show... :smile:

13. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Awesome work Simon, you did a bang up job on these, and I don't doubt for a sec this will generate much future work for you!
    PS, that tilted stage in shot 1 does bug me a little, but it's still a great shot.

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I love these

The colors are so gorgeous. I like that you didn't use flash. We can see what the stage lighting looks like. These are really wonderful. Thanks for sharing the frame steps. I've got to give it a try.

By the way, which camera and lens did you use. My daughter is in a choir concert this weekend and I would love to try to get some shots of her.

15. Steve

I know - I will be cropping that one - you're not the first, won't be the last :smile:

Terri - For the 4 in this post, I used a 24-70 F/2.8 Sigma. Apperture Priority and mostly around the F4 mark. Pump up the ISO - turn off the focus assist light and Flash. Managed to mostly use Autofocus - a few needed MF. Oh and its my wonderful D70 - got to love this camera.

The very best of luck, happy hunting.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
  16. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Simon, I have to say these are some of the best shots I have seen on this forum to date. You handeling of difacult condition is great , actually I thing it ads to the images. great job!

Dan

17. Thanks again for the great responses.

Here's possibly my favourite of them all - finally finished processing 135 images - haven't started cropping yet.

18. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Simon,
    I'll have to agree on the excellent quality of the pictures. My wife owns a dance school and I shot the her end of the year recital this past year. I started my photography hobby taking pictures in low light conditions at dance competitions.

Your shots have encouraged me to try the upper iso's this year at competitions. I have always shot at iso800 and below with shutter speeds of 125 to 250.

Again great shots,
    Larry