My daughter's bridal portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by Terri French, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Not sure it is a tradition everywhere, but around here most brides get a bridal portrait taken before the wedding day. We went to some gardens in Utah a couple of weeks ago and attempted my daughter's portrait. I was so intimidated because I had never done anything like this before and the place was full of professionals and brides. Anyway, I tried to calm my nerves and I gave it my best try. I have spent quite a bit of time of the post processing. I am open to any and all suggestions and comments as the wedding is a little more than three weeks away and I can take more of her on the wedding day.

The full gallery is here:

http://www.pbase.com/terrif/bridal_portrait

Here are a few samples

This first one was fun because a helicopter was flying over taking videos of the gardens and it was blowing her veil so we quickly got a photo.

View attachment 17433

View attachment 17434

[​IMG]

View attachment 17435

View attachment 17436

View attachment 17437

2. Hey Terri. Nice Shots. I like the last one a lot. I don't know if its my monitor or your pictures but the color seems a bit subdued.

3. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Terri,

There are some great shots there! The only criticism I can offer is that the poses look a little stiff, but I don't think there is any reason to do any over. There is no need to be nervous, you have done a wounderful job on your people shots.

Dan

4. Terri

Very nice set of pictures. Difficult not to blow out all the detail with all that white but you kept it together really well.

First one looks just a touch soft around the eyes - maybe the useless monitor I have at work.

Other than that I reckon you kept up with the pro's.

Have a great wedding day - wear a big hat :biggrin:

5. Good job Terri and your daughter is lovely. Anytime you can do that many shots and no blow out the highlights it is a successful shoot. Good luck with the wedding and congrats to your daughter.

6. Terri:

I really like number 3. They are all nice, but that's the one I would want in my album.

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I appreciate the encouragement as well as the criticisms offered. I will put all your comments to good use. It was getting rather late in the day when we took these, plus we were in the shade. I really wasn't sure how to set up the camera and flash in this type of lighting.

The wedding is on November 19--who knows we could be having a blizzard by then!!!

I think my daughter is pretty happy with these. She thinks the photography is ok, she is unhappy with her hairdo. I guess we both learned a lot that day to get ready for the wedding.

8. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Terri,

You have done yourself proud, what a beautiful daughter. The photos are great. It must have been a frantic, frenzied afternoon but still your images look wonderful. Congratulations and good luck with the new son in law.

P.S. Did you take these at Thanksgiving Point?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
  9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I think you did a wonderful job...makes me wish I had done my pre-wedding shoot outdoors! I had mine done in a studio and really was a bit disappointed....too stiff and no personality....Your daughter's on the otherhand, show just how beautiful she is and how happy she is to be getting married! (Hope we get to see at least a few pics from the wedding!)

10. Hi Terri,

Lovely photo's. Let me know if the groom is not at the wedding then i will stand in to merry her. :biggrin: And your son in law must be one proud husband when he sees your daughter in this beautifull dress.

She looks great and you did great job on the photos. She will be proud for sure of the photo's you made.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

11. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Scott,
    Thanks for the comments. I actually took these at the Tahitian Noni corporate headquarters. They have some beautiful gardens in the back that were designed by the some of the same people who did Thanksgiving Point. They don't charge for photographers to come there. My daughter worked there until last February when she became a stay at home mom. She knew who to contact to make arrangements for us to come. I want to go back there next spring and do a family portrait. There is a beautiful waterfall area where I would like to take a family shot.

12. Terry
    Very well done I can tell you have done your homework and you have applied it real well, good luck with the upcoming preparations and look forward to the wedding day shots

13. Nice job.
    It looks like you picked the right time of day to have the folaige and white dressed both properly exposed. No small feat.
    My only criticism would be that in the shots with a well focused background(2,5 & 6) the plants are a bit busy and distracting. In the shots with a bit of defocused background(1,3,4,7) she stands out much better.

Well done.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005