My daughters wedding

Discussion in 'People' started by kgilby, Jul 2, 2008.

1. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    They have hired a professional photog, but want me to take some photos, too. And they couldn't have stopped me. What 1 lens would you suggest I use - 17-55?
    My options are the 17-55, Tokina 12-24 f4, Tamron 90 f2.8, 50 f1.8, & 70-300VR. I will also bring along the SB-800. It's an afternoon wedding, in an open air setting, at a beach house.
    Thanks.

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Take the 17-55.

3. Yup.

4. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thank you both. I will post some shots afterwards.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    If I only had one, it would be the 17-55.

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Considering they hired a photographer, might be wise to shoot from a distance as to not interfere. My choice would be the 70-300, and the 17-55 when possible.

7. 130meow

130meow

Apr 22, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Depends on what you are planning to shoot. If they have a hired photographer, you might be interested in shooting candids of guests from afar. In that case, bring your 70-300. But since it's your daugther's wedding, shouldn't you sit at the front?

The Tokina is good for guest group shots especially on crowded spaces since you can always go wide (but beware of distortion)... but since you have a hired photog to take those official group shots, I don't think you'll need the lens.

The 50/1.8 will be good for low light or narrow DOF but you'd have to run around like crazy to get your framing right so this won't do as it's an outdoor wedding and there'll be plenty of light. More or less can be said about the tammy 90/2.8.

The 17-55 is the most versatile of all, but it won't give you the "reach" so if you plan to stay away and shoot from a distance, the 70-300 might be a better choice.

8. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks again...

I won't be trying to duplicate what the pro is doing - the shots I'll be doing might be some bride & groom candids and small groups of friends. I believe the lens will be the 17-55, and either the 50 or the 90. Thanks for your thoughts.

9. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    don't get in their way...

:smile:

17-55 would be my choice!

Don't let your sb800 interfere with their shots...

10. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    If you have the time (when's the wedding) and or the money, you could pick up something like the Nikon 28-105 f3.5-4.5. Small groups and the 105 reach would be nice.

11. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    His daughter is getting married...he's got no $$

:)

12. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I agree with the who said "Don't get in way". Photographers in general are territorial - so keep your distance and never flash when he's flashing.

13. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Agree 100 and 10%. the biggest problem is that the people being photographed tend to look around if there is more than one person taking pictures. This can be a BIG problem.

14. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    I won't be buying any new glass anytime soon - I actually bought the 17-55 a few months ago anticipating it's use for the wedding.
    Fear not, there will be no interfering with the hired gun. I am in Dad mode that day, so only a bit more than a handful of photography for me.
    Thanks again for all the suggestions.

15. My wife wouldn't let me bring my camera to my daughter's wedding. She said my job was to be the father of the bride. What a silly idea, considering that I'm a wedding photographer.

She was right.

The role of the father of the bride is best described as the three ups.

Show up...

shut up...

and pay up.

Being high profile with a big camera, lens, and flash, isn't in the job description.

16. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    That's great, LOL.

17. kgilby

kgilby

Oct 2, 2007
    Chicago
    UF you're correct. And if my daughter didn't ask me to take some photos, I'd be leaving the dSLR home. Everybody pray for good weather in Chicago next Saturday.

18. Ah, you're a lucky man, Ken. If my daughter had asked, I'd have brought my best gear, too. Best wishes to the bride and groom, and congratulations to the parents. It's a big day for you guys, too.

19. I have at least 10 years to work out what i am going to do in my sons wedding, he's only 8!

I know what I want the answer to be, bugger all, enjoy the day and not once have a camera in my hand. Thay means I will be booking the photographer (s- will have at least 3) and making sure he is 100% sure of the brief.

I`ll tell you how it went in many years time!

20. I took my camera to my daughter's wedding, but I decided not to use it. I asked the pro to take the family shots we wanted after things settled down. I'm glad I did, it gave me time to enjoy friends and family.