My Day

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Nikam, Jul 13, 2005.

1. This morning I went up to a lake that I hadn't ever been to before. Its not that far out of town, just 10k (6mi)up a dirt road from the far end of town. For the last three days I've been out looking for deer.

There were some spotted sandpipers at this lake:

I also saw this ground squirrel but I couldn't get him to come out to play.

Went home (my daughter needed the car for her summer job) and mowed the front lawn. Started to process some from the mornings take and my wife arrived home. She told me that there was a deer half a block up the road near the corner. Grabbed the camera and hurried up to corner and found not one but two bucks.

The older buck:

The younger one:

I have to laugh :D :D - I spend 3 mornings hiking through the bush looking for deer and find them half a block away! All in all, a pretty good day. :D :D

2. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Dennis

I love those spotted sandpipers...they are awsome looking birds!

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Dennis, looks like you did have an excellent day. :wink:

I like the Sandpipers and the deer.

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Like them all
    especially the bucks

5. I like the first one a lot, very nice pair of eyes in the log.

6. Love the deer and the sanpipers are cool

7. Jim,

Thanks. They are a neat bird. These were hand held with the 70-200 + 1.7 TC. I plan on going back with the 300f4 when I get it and trying for some better lighting conditions on these guys.

Frank, Ben and Mike

Thanks for looking.

Gilles,

That is one of my favourites too for the same reason. The water level is very high in the local lakes this year because we had the third wettest June on record. It makes some of the shots all the more special, because the circumstances may not occur again for a long time.
    The only down side is that the mosquitos are really bad this year.

8. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    I like the first shot of the deer. The backlighting lit up the velvet on the antler, looks really good. I dont quite like the pose on the 2nd shot but the velvet lit up almost like a neon on that one.

9. Talk about a mix bag, nice series........luv the spotted sandpipers and your mule deer in velvet. Looks like your getting the hang of it ;-) Keep them coming

Keith

10. Ricardo,

Thanks for your comments. Your right about the pose. I think its better if you can get the head without the body as background. I took quite a few shots, but they were browsing and often their heads were half hidden by the tall weeds and grasses. I sure like the look of the velvet on the antlers when it gets backlit though.

Keith,

Thanks. I'm having lots of fun. Still miss the exposure compensation value a fair bit, but now when I do so, its usually by one-third of a stop or less and is usually recoverable in capture raw. I find that estimating the light when the sun is moving in and out of clouds is sure tough though.

11. The light on the ears of the second deer shot, i like it, a lot. Not to say anything less of all the others, I like them all, but there is just something about them ears........

Nice stuff, thanks.

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Looks like you have been having some great days outdoors. Love all the pictures. The deer are so nice with the backlighting on the antlers.

13. Bill,

Thanks for looking. The backlighting caught the ears pretty good at that point. :)

Terri,

Thanks. We've had quite a wet spring and early summer. I like it better when its not too hot and the showery weather has kept everything green around here. Most years it has browned off by now. Did you catch some of those storms they had in Southern Alberta down in Idaho?

14. Hi Dennis,

It looks like your day was a good one, a very good one, I must say! I thoroughly enjoyed sharing it. Gotta love that D2H + 70-200VR + 1.7 TC combo, huh? I have the same setup, so I can relate! ;-) :lol: