1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My dead 24-70 - USAA paid claim in less than 6 hours!!!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kgill, Jul 23, 2008.

1. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I just got the repair estimate back from Nikon Italy.

They graciously applied a 400 euro discount to the repair (???),
    so the subtotal is 946.50 Euro (1514.40) + 20% sales tax (302.88)= $1817.38
    Without the discount, the repair would be $2457.28....

So I guess I have to get a new lens. HAHA HA HA (that is a laugh of HOW RIDICULOUS, not a laugh of how humorous)

apparently they say they need to:

substitute the electrical contacts at the back
    substitute a blade at the back
    substitute the diaphragm lever (or whatever that little thing on the back is called)
    substitute a GHIERA MATRICOLA (Dino can help with this, I don't know what it is)
    Substitute the zoom (I guess that's autofocus motor) AND repair the same part
    And substitute one group of lenses (????)

ANYWAY...

Once burned twice stupid. Will ALWAYS check the backpack from now on.

Kristina

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  2. Oh my Kristina! What on earth happened??? That is a horrible repair...

3. MeSince83

MeSince83

Apr 3, 2008
    Brooklyn
    WOW thats a tough break, how did all that happen? In your backpack?

4. what happened

and why isn't the lens under warranty ??

5. Will your insurance cover the replacement?

6. i think it fell out of her open backpack when she picked it up
    fell 4 feet to concrete and smashed.... if i remember correctly

how horrible

7. i would have claimed spontaneous combustion and made Nikon flip the bill :tongue:

8. Do you have any household contents insurance, as you may well be covered for damage outside the home.

I lost a lens a while back to Lake Powell, and I was covered OK.

9. well

i am so sorry this happened, i know how you feel. I take care of my camera equipement like it was a the most fragile stuff on earth so I worry about these kinds of things.

10. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Yes, it fell out of my unzipped Lowepro Minitrekker-- but not to concrete-- it (attached to the camera) hit the desk first then fell onto carpet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not a plush carpet, but carpet nonetheless). The camera is fine, I think the lens, since it's heavier than the body, took the beating.

Yes, it is covered, full replacement value under insurance.
    (Hence, the only reason that this didn't drive me to drink!)

I used the lens afterwards, the photos were fine, only the autofocus didn't work. I didn't notice all that stuff being broken on the back of it, nor inside, nor did there appear to be any broken elements inside or even cracked elements, but hey. I am not a lens expert nor a lens technician. Lots of stuff could go on inside that you can't see...

So glad I'm risk averse (and poor) and therefore have insurance...

k

p.s. the nikon warranty won't cover my stupidity!! and there was no way i could have even TRIED to say it wasn't my fault because the fall broke the filter ring, like, it put a crack all the way through it, so it was obvious. and i wouldn't have lied about it anyway. the lens, bc it's only 60 days old is also covered under credit card insurance (up to $1000-- useless in this case, but still...would have been better than nothing had I not had a rider on my renters insurance)

11. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Use a different backpack next time. If a back zips from the outside, you'll have a higher chance to drop your gear if you forget to zip it. But if a bag zips from where it faces your back, even if you don't zip it, it will not drop because your back is holding it in place.

My backpack does works this way and its great. Also if I have all my gear in it, if I'm wearing it someone can't steal anything from it unless I take it off of me. Great for airports and other crowded places that have a lot of thefts.

My backpack is from Burton, its called the Zoom.

12. Oh my God. Good news, you have insurance.

Good point to double check any zippered backpack.

They should give you a discount of 400euros on a new one...

13. Oucchh....sorry it happened:frown:

14. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I think that this could have happened to any backpack, because it happened when I picked the bag up to put it on my back. Not while it was on my back... It makes me sick just thinking about it. But now I have to live without my 24-70 til I come back home...which may not be til February!!!!!! OH WELL.

kristina

15. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Ouch! My condolences on the loss of a lens..... may we all take a minute to grieve.

16. Good thing you had insurance Kristina! Do you get to keep the lens as a $1,700 paper weight? :eek: )

17. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut
    Curious about that also. They will be be sending it back to you right? It seems ridiculous to me that Nikon can even think of charging OVER LIST on a repair. If you do get it back, I bet you can sell the broken lens on ebay for parts, or even just a a MF lens. Worth a try.

Actually I want to thank you. Your story is what made me verify I was covered for events you like you had. Turns out I was not!!! :confused: 

Well I am now cover for "All Perils" including my own stupidity :biggrin:

18. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    experience pays
    but you have to pay for the experience
    same thing happened with my 12-24 from my backpack
    $300 lesson
    then dropped 70-200 from a suitcase
    $450 lesson
    neither covered by insurance or nikon
    hope you learn more quickly than i did - good luck!

19. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    UPDATE: I submitted the paperwork to my insurance last night (after hours). They cut the check today to cover the price of the new lens + shipping + the cost of the estimate, and a new one is already on the UPS truck to my father's house from ALLEN'S CAMERA. I have USAA insurance. I am *amazed* at how fast they were. If any of you are in the armed forces (I'm not in armed forces, but thank you to anyone and everyone who is serving our country in the armed forces!!) or have a presidential commission, I would highly recommend looking at USAA. Especially if you live overseas.

i will keep the lens as a paperweight or a something weight. It does work in manual focus, and in fact if you keep your hand on the autofocus ring, the autofocus works too, you just have to apply a bit of pressure. I just can't fathom that all those things they listed are wrong with it, but oh well, they are the experts. I am the nincompoop (as this episode proves!!!)

Anyway, now this chapter is behind me, I will ALWAYS keep the shade on the lens and will ALWAYS check my backpack and will RELIGIOUSLY pay my insurance premiums and verify my policy!!!

SO BIG SHOUT OUT TO ALLEN AT ALLEN'S CAMERA and a HUGE HUGE THANK YOU TO USAA!!!! (Allen has the lens in stock at $1599!)

P.P.S. the even more sickening thing is that on my original post about how much I like this lens, I wrote this:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.