My dog takes me for a walk

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by jirel, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Today, 3 months after my last knee replacement surgery, I decided to take my dog for a walk down the farm road. I hadn't done this due to knee issues for over a year. With a windchill of -25C we set off. I wasn't sure how far I was going to make it but my dog urged me on. She would take off and run 40 yards ahead of me and then turn and give me that look that asks, "what's keeping you?". I accepted her challenge and trudged on. We did two miles, far exceeding my expectations. I am still mobile but she has now flopped for a good nap.

_JHI1051.jpg

Have a great day.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Good story and photograph, Jack. Keep up the good work.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Congrats! She wanted you to join her......

4. Thank you both.

5. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    -25C ... I remember my eyelashes fusing together at that temp.

6. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Ehhh...did you say -25C??? :eek:

:D

Glad to hear that you're improving and I love the photo!

7. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    That's nippy for a walk that long. Great you could it.

8. Inspirational, but . . .

The dog is smarter :)

9. You have a lovely friend. But , please be careful with your knee in those bad weather conditions.

10. That was the warmest day in awhile but I was bundled up in my down parka. The dog didn't didn't seem to mind the conditions as she would frequently stop and roll about in the snow.

Thank you.

Thanks. It was good to get out as much of the time after surgery I was stuck indoors.

This dog has it made!

Thanks. I try to be very careful. Five days after I got home from my surgery my wife slipped on ice just out our doorway and broke her pelvis. We are both very watchful of walking conditions now!

11. In the winter I'm more likely to have my YakTrax™ with me than my gloves. Falling is too painful.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wise (y) I'm glad that your wife's condition is good enough to walk.

13. Lovely photo of a faithful friend. I am convinced dogs are angels sent to watch over and help us. Glad to hear your knee replacement is going well.

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

" now, mom, if you were only as good as I think you are..." - Georgie Beagle

14. Ice cleats are a definite help in slippery conditions. I keep mine handy as well.

Thank you. I think my wife is recovering well and moves almost better than me at this time.

Thank you. It always amazes me how intuitive dogs can be in different situations.

15. Great image and story, Jack! As a later in life ACL surgery survivor, I can only say your dog (beautiful, I might add), is your best physical therapy!

16. Thank you. My dog seems much keener to walk in the extreme cold than I am. Somehow though, she manages to compel me to get my parka and boots on and hobble along behind her!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.