1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

MY Dream Car...

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by DW Brewer, Apr 2, 2007.

1. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

In the early 1960's, when I was a teenager beginning to think about cars, there were two names associated with THE Muscle Cars (before the Pontiac GTO and Oldsmobile 442). Corvettes aside, Jim Hall with his Chaparral and Carroll Shelby with his Cobra; these were THE CARS, the stuff dreams were made of. On the SCCA and other race circuits, these were the lean, mean, hustle machines, and they were quite different. Jim Hall went with a european-inspired design (way ahead of his time) with an automatic transmission and a moveable, adjustable rear spoiler. Carroll Shelby; well he built perhaps the meanest-looking, baddest machine from the ground up. He took a sleek style, chocked it full of horsepower and devoid of creature comforts. It looked fast, was fast, and commanded attention wherever it went. I'll never forget the first street version I saw, or rather heard first, then saw. Today, as I was on the way to the refuge to image some wildlife, I stopped in at Staples to get some photographic paper. Coming out, a man pulled up in this re-incarnation of the 1965 427ci Cobra. He parked in the semi-shade (I can't blame him; leather does get hot in bright sunlight), so the lighting isn't the best, and I completely had the wrong equipment with which to image this classic, but he gave me permission to image away, so here's to the dream machine of my youth. Oh yes, he fired it up before I left. Talk about a lot of ponies sounding off; sssswweeeettt!

-
    76588575.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

-
    76588600.jpg

-
    76588606.jpg

Oh yeah, note in the cockpit view the lack of a CD player, satellite radio, etc. You have the controls you need for this driving machine; nothing more, nothing less.

2. My absolute favorite car as well. Replica or not.

I remember the others you talked about as well.

3. Niiiiiiice! Love the look of a classic Cobra. Thanks for sharing it with us.

4. Awesome car, I think one of his original AC's just sold for a little over 4 million

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.