My Euro trip (Mamiya 7, XPan, M7, F100)

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Taylor, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I about 70 rolls of film to develop from my trip in August. I'll be posting some of them here slowly as I scan and edit them. The rest are on my Flickr stream.

Oia, Santorini, Greece. E100VS and Mamiya 7.
    2842252772_260b9d6bf4_b.png

Sistine Chapel ceiling, Pro 800Z and Mamiya 7.
    2849639761_1df550fa66_b.png

St. Peter's Basilica, Pro 800Z and Mamiya 7. She was dancing in the light but I wasn't fast enough to set up the shot and she had JUST stopped dancing.
    View attachment 254057

More of St. Peter's.
    View attachment 254058

Girl with a cocker spaniel in Sorrento. Portra 160NC (exp) and Mamiya 7.
    View attachment 254059

Sunset over Florence from Piazza Michelangelo. E100VS and Mamiya 7.
    View attachment 254060

2. These are awesome Taylor...The Sistine Chapel was being cleaned up in the same section your standing underneath when we went with my now wife a few years back. Its and incredible site!
    I can't to see what else are in those 70 rolls of film!

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Great stuff Taylor - those big negatives really shine at this size even. I'm curious about your photo of the Sistine Chapel though, I thought they did not allow any photography there, and a Mamiya 7 is not very good at being a stealth camera!

4. braver

braver

Apr 2, 2008
    netherlands
    the detail in those shots is stunning. favourite: the girl 'struck' by the light in the St. Peter (even without the dancing ;) ). I was there last year, but it was dark and my camera had just run out of juice, but it was just amazing. your pictures really capture the grand amazing huge impressiveness of it! :)

5. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks Byron, it looks amazing after the restoration. All the original colours were seen for the first time in centuries. My photo doesn't do it justice, as it is truly vibrant and regal in person.

Thanks Chris, you're right, photography is not allowed there. However, there was a huge pack of people inside, lots of them taking photos and videos, some with flash even! I prefocused my Mamiya and took quick shots, and with the leaf shutter it's virtually silent.

Thanks Koen, I'm going to rescan that photo and recover some of the blown highlights on her. That's the thing, I could've gone with a digital camera but I thought medium format film would out-do it for these kinds of shots.

6. Wow, 70 rolls. Cool captures. That is some impressive art work on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. How long were you in Europe?

7. evokel

evokel

Sep 6, 2008
    florida
    amazing pics!

8. Great stuff!!! Can't wait to see more!:biggrin:

9. gavin

gavin

Oct 21, 2006
    Amazing stuff!!

I was in italy in July and still haven't developed all the film... but the digital captures i got pale in comparison to that MF goodness.

And the 1st thing I thought when I saw the pic of the sistine chapel was how when I was there, the guards were really picky about not allowing pictures to be taken ! you were lucky (and fast) I guess...

the 3rd picture is my favorite. The way the film handles the burning from the ray of light is just great.

10. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    those are amazing captures, wow!

11. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks everyone.

Here are some more from the XPan + E100VS:

Italians trying to get skin cancer.
    2880543021_1e14e8f6e9_b.png

Oia, Santorini. Waiting for the sunset
    2880555789_2d7a7aa2e9_b.png

The last kiss of the setting sun.
    View attachment 254063

Moonrise
    View attachment 254064

12. Wow, amazing! I thought I brought a lot of film when I went to China (51 rolls). Adding you as a contact on flickr so I can be updated (craparu on flickr).

13. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks JZ.

Colosseum
    2882765095_fdb4e03522_b.png

Arno River, Florence
    View attachment 254066

Trevi Fountain, Rome
    View attachment 254067

Tourists at Trevi Fountain
    View attachment 254068

View attachment 254069
    This statue was a copy of another one in Greece, of Hercules I think. It was supposed to be completed by Michelangelo, but he wasn't able to finish it before he died. Another copy of it exists in the Vatican Museum's main entrance, but with the arm outstretched. It was done by another sculptor who felt that the arm was supposed to be outstretched. However, when the original was found it had the arm bent, just as Michelangelo had intended it to be. Perhaps he had seen it in person, perhaps he just knew that the pose was more powerful and dynamic with the arm bent.

The line across the middle is from me bending the neg when trying to load it onto a spool that was still a bit wet. Had to open the spool which bent the neg, and then loaded it onto a dry spool.

On the way back from Capri to Sorrento
    View attachment 254070

Bologna
    View attachment 254071

I met Rhodri Jones in the main square in Bologna. He was shooting with a home-brew digital large format box. Basically it was a scanner hooked up and powered by a laptop. He said that he didn't feel like a real photographer until he was using a shade.

He shoots documentary photography, and usually takes an XPan, Mamiya 7, and Leica M series with him.
    View attachment 254072

View attachment 254073

View attachment 254074

14. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I really like those Xpan shots Taylor, kinda making me lust actually … :tongue:

15. gavin

gavin

Oct 21, 2006
    Nice shots!

and that large format thingy looks sick! :)

16. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Wonderful series, Taylor. I will be looking forward to the rest of your photos.

17. Wow, it just keeps getting better. I enjoyed the additional shots.

18. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks guys!

I'm selling my Mamiya 7 kit (body, 43mm/4.5, 150mm/4.5) in the For Sale forum if you're interested in it.

19. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    LOVE the panos, especially the sunset and moon rise. Really fabulous stuff.

20. Taylor, I've loved to see you photograph Trevi fountain at night! I liked it a lot better after midnight when the crowds started to dwindle down. With your style of night photography it would've been great!
    Those X-Pan shots look amazing!
    How long were your there? it looks like you covered a lot of ground during your visit.