My ex-girlfriend

Took these yesteday, they didn't come out too bad for all being taken at her house... I didn't have much time to take em, lemme know what you think.

41522557.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 6806

BW

View attachment 6807

View attachment 6808

Hey Nathan, the last post I saw of this young lady she was still your girfriend. What gives. It can't be your photography as that is excellent.

WB Nathan, WB!

Excellent pose and shot angle on 1st shot, but too much red & yellow on her skin! She looks a bit jaundiced, imo ;) I know that late/early day light can give this kind of warm glow to the skin, but in this case it's just a bit too much.
#2 has same skintone imbalance, and while the pose is pretty good, I would've shot it from a slightly higher perspective to hide the area of her neck just below her chin, and I would also crop this one tighter on top, eliminating the top row of bricks. When I scroll the pic so it doesn't show that top row, it looks much better to me. Also, that 2nd shot looks to be back focussed, as the bricks are in sharper focus than she is. Also, take note for next time, her necklace is hanging crooked. The 1st BW conversion lacks some contrast, and the 2nd one is better, but looks a little like an "overexposed BW rescue", as it has hot spots on her face. (been there, done that). Contrast on that one is better though. Hope my critical review wasn't too harsh.
OK, Ping, now tell us why she's now the "ex" GF!?

Well steve and grey... I'm really not sure why we broke up. She said we just didn't have much in common and we were "complete opposites."
Steve, I have taken a shot before like you are talking about, referring to #2... I took this right after we started dating. And yes, I do agree about the skin toning, I guess I just didn't get the WB right when I shot. Also the late day light did play a huge factor. I really do wish the lighting wasn't so harsh too.

I think this is more of what you are talking about :

37819089.gif

Too bad I didn't take the time to shoot the one above at a different aperture... I shot way too open. I wish I would have changed it to maybe f/5.6 or 7.1. It was shot at 2.2

Thanks for the replies!!

From a "higher" perspective

Ping279 said:
Well steve and grey... I'm really not sure why we broke up. She said we just didn't have much in common and we were "complete opposites."
Steve, I have taken a shot before like you are talking about, referring to #2... I took this right after we started dating. And yes, I do agree about the skin toning, I guess I just didn't get the WB right when I shot. Also the late day light did play a huge factor. I really do wish the lighting wasn't so harsh too.

I think this is more of what you are talking about :

37819089.gif

Too bad I didn't take the time to shoot the one above at a different aperture... I shot way too open. I wish I would have changed it to maybe f/5.6 or 7.1. It was shot at 2.2

Thanks for the replies!!

I meant you, the photog, shoot from a higher perspective. Ie, the lens being a foot or so higher than her head. This would hide her "neck flab", if you will ;) While this last shot is good, it's still shot from a low perspective. You're right about stopping down under harsh conditions. Only problem w/that, is you get too much DOF, and that brings another set of problems all it's own. Have you read anything about the "Sunny 16" rule? Good stuff for harsh lighting conditions. sometimes you gotta sacrifice shallow DOF for a properly exposed shot, and must plan the shot accordingly. I learned that from my 2 pm sunny afternoon shoot in the park with Jesse.

Latest threads

Top Bottom