Critique My favorite image of the outing

My plan on my first outing with my Z6 and 50mm f/1.8 S was to concentrate on using larger apertures than are available on my other two lenses. However, when I saw this scene, I knew I had a chance at making a photo that would be especially meaningful for me and didn't care that it would have to be made at a much smaller aperture than the other images I had captured.

The image is my favorite of the outing by a very wide margin. It's one of the rare artistic images that turned out exactly as I envisioned it before releasing the shutter, so that in itself makes it special for me. Ironically, I could have easily missed seeing the scene because I was headed to my car and was only a few steps away from the parking lot.

Mike 2020-06-13--105-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
YES. I am glad you saw it and were able to share. Beautiful.
Art is everywhere. Is it art if no one sees it?
Gary
Well, I used to have a sign on my office door, "A beer that has not been drunk, has missed its calling."
I guess a question is, did this (or any scene) exist exactly like this before Mike came along and capture the photons?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
"A beer that has not been drunk, has missed its calling."
I had many discussions with my college roommate during our days at the School of Music about whether music exists on the written score or if it has to be played to exist. I felt (and still do) that it has to be played to exist and he disagreed. Both of us had considerable experience writing music, so we had the same frame of reference. I politely gave him a pass about being wrong because I was only an undergrad, whereas he was working on his Master's degree. :D

Last edited:
A marvellous b&w, Mike!
Great work!
Always a wonderful experience when the reality coincides with the visualisation.

On the philosophical level, this reminds me of a novel I once read that was based on a premise that a law of physics didn't exist until someone formulated it :)
Great fun.

On the philosophical level, this reminds me of a novel I once read that was based on a premise that a law of physics didn't exist until someone formulated it :)
Great fun.
We all know that if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, it doesn't make a sound!
Or the married man's corollary, if you are not wake to hear your own snoring, you didn't snore!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
This image is de"art"! And I love it! Very dramatic! Would look great printed, framed and hung for all to enjoy!

I think that's sound scientific reasoning :)

We all know that if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, it doesn't make a sound!
Or the married man's corollary, if you are not wake to hear your own snoring, you didn't snore!
I have a few tips for this but i can't post them here since they might would violate some of the forums basic rules :rolleyes:

This one might pass though: the inside of a bottle of exquisite wine when Mike(*) has passed along :ROFLMAO:
(*) can be replaced by a number of other names.

A smart person, I think, long ago asked me to visualize absolute nothingness. I'm still trying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Would look great printed, framed and hung for all to enjoy!
Thanks, Karen! As soon as I finished post-processing it, I began thinking of perhaps hanging it with a formal frame. If I do that, it will only be the second photo of my own that I've framed for formal presentation. The other one is also black-and-white.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom