My favourite 645 shot

Totally a throw-away shot that turned out to be one of my favourite photos. Funny how looking back at this photo makes me really regret selling the 645. (HP5+ pushed to 1600)

5504753509_f12fa847a3_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And then just on a whim I tried to imitate the shot a week ago with the D200. Afraid I'm not going to get close to the clean grain of HP5+ with the D200 any time soon, let alone getting anything as smooth as a Delta film ;)

5480722325_f4b8e8cacf_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D

Deleted member 960

Love the inky blacks and lighting in the first shot!

Thanks! I wasn't expecting much when I pulled it out of the tank and onto the scanner, but when I saw it in Lightroom I fell in love. It was just a throwaway handheld shot that I used to finish off a roll to boot, which made it that much sweeter ;)

D

Deleted member 960

Pulling the film off the spool after developing is one of my favorite moments. :biggrin:

Pulling the film off the spool after developing is one of my favorite moments. :biggrin:

And this moment is worthy all the pain of developing process if so, i really hate to stay in the bathroom counting the time and agitating until fixing and then washing the film, it is a pain for me, but when i see the result, i forget all the pain and i agree about the moment.

Real Name
Chris
It's gotten to the point that I feel a definite let-down after I pull the last negative strip from the drying rack, as it signals the magic part is over. Scanning is more like work, but it DOES reveal the goods. That's one BIG reason I like wet printing - it prolongs the magic!

D

Deleted member 960

It's gotten to the point that I feel a definite let-down after I pull the last negative strip from the drying rack, as it signals the magic part is over. Scanning is more like work, but it DOES reveal the goods. That's one BIG reason I like wet printing - it prolongs the magic!

After I get over that fun little tax hurdle next month, I'm on it, Chris! Paper,
chems, enlarger, etc.

Love that 1st Shot! There's Plenty Of Great Deals On Some Of The Older 645 Machines Out There...:smile:

The entire process is just as much fun, if not more fun than the actual photography. I love the feeling you get when you successfully wind the 120 onto the spool -- feels better than doing the same on 35mm for some reason. Agitation of the chems, hearing my iPhone count down the final seconds until I can crack the lid and wash my film.

The biggest letdown is having to wait for it to dry. I'm far too impatient for that.

Once I get the funding for a proper darkroom I'm definitely going back to film. Right now I couldn't justify the expense when I have digital to play with while I'm paying off some bills, but once that's all taken care of it's back to film right along side the D200 :)

Love that 1st Shot! There's Plenty Of Great Deals On Some Of The Older 645 Machines Out There...:smile:

Thanks very much! I'm itching to step up to 6x6 for my next camera, but realistically I'll probably go to 35mm so I can share my digital lenses. There's nothing like the elegance of an old TLR or 6x6 to make shooting an experience though. It's a great conversation starter too. I can't count the number of people who wanted to ask about my camera after I took their photo.

Latest threads

Top Bottom