My favourite sitcom from black and white to colour - Fawlty Towers

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Fawlty Towers was always in colour so I'm puzzled why there was a b/w photo in the first place.

Yes, AI is creeping in all over the place. I expect you know that Photoshop 2021 has an automatic colorise feature. It works out what is sky, trees, people, faces and so on, and does it all automatically. The results are very variable and nothing like the standard of yours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Richard...

Surprisingly there are a lot of b/w images of Fawlty Towers...what is missing are good high quality colour images over, for example 4mb...

I am encouraged by your comments about the AI colourisations...they can take hours to do (Polly's cardigan for example took a lot of time) ...

I look at some of the AI colourings and think wow...that is good and it took 10 seconds to do....but, if, as you have done, the difference is noticeable, then it is worth the effort.

I also did some research for this image and tried to find a similar pose in colour and then tried to replicate colours as best I could etc.....

Very best wishes as always and stay safe Richard during these difficult times.

Best wishes Ray

I tried that same image - taken from the b/w portion of yours, and it worked remarkably well. It identified all the faces (it shows you this), and here is the result - all done in a few seconds:
Automatic colourisation

But on other images I have seen a complete mess.

That is really amazing Richard....

I can see (as I am sure there will be on mine under close scrutiny) areas where colours overlap and/or no colour applied BUT....it cxould be a good starting point perhaps.

Use this to get the basics and then continue in Photoshop to hand colour?

That might be a good alternative.

Thanks for showing this as an example....which program did you use please ...

Many thanks

Ray

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
That was using Photoshop 2021.
It gives you the colours as a new layer, with any areas it decided not to colour as transparent. So it would be easy to do additional work on, and the original is still underneath.

That was using Photoshop 2021.
It gives you the colours as a new layer, with any areas it decided not to colour as transparent. So it would be easy to do additional work on, and the original is still underneath.
Hi Richard...that is excellent...

Really good....now what do I do...still on CS6...LOL
Best wishes and thank you

Ray

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom