My first 70-200VR in flight...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOLady, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Took the new camera and lenses out for the first paddle of the season (I'm a kayaker, new to it last year). I gotta tell ya, sitting in a kayak, waving that huge lens with the converter on it around in the air for a while sure makes these poor li'l ol' arms tired. It's quite an art to track birds with the lens but was fun. I did a few shots tracking a swan taking off but the focus wasn't there. I did manage to get a good sharp pic of a shyte-hawk though... I love the backlighting. The image seems to have softened a touch through pbase but you get the idea.... Cheers, S
    original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow Sandi, you have the knack. Very good first try (better in fact than about 98% of the rest of our first tries....;-)).

So have you ordered the 500D yet??

Regards,

Frank

3. Thanks a lot Frank. It was fun! Yup, gonna have it sent to Jarrell and then a buddy of mine is picking it up and bringing it home to me.... that is, if Jarrell parts with it!!! *LOL* It will be a lot easier carrying the 500D with me rather than a separate lens in the kayak. Taking the camera out of the dry box and changing lenses is NOT an easy thing in a kayak. I'm trying to keep my equipment list lean for paddling. I did put 600 shots on the camera during the day's outing... sure felt good to paddle again - haven't been out since my trip to Florida in November and these poor arms are feeling it today. Heading out tomorrow again, want to see all the recent returns who are starting to pair up now that spring is here.

original.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good show Sandi

Thanks for sharing.

5. Wow!!! Great shots Sandi!!! :D
    I'm planning to get a sea kayak, any suggestions?

6. celia bule

celia bule Guest

The 70-200VR is something else but you must be a real athlete to carry it on a kayak, and if you say your arms are old I just wonder what you could do when they were young :wink:
    The first pic is really good.

7. Wow, I find the light in the first just too beautiful.

What kind of insurance do you have to carry that kind of gear in a kayak ???

8. Thanks Gale, Panos and Celia. Yes, I wish I'd started kayaking years ago, but I'm making up for lost time. The great thing is that my business is very established so I can take all the time I want for playing.
    Panos, mine is a recreational kayak - large open cockpit for easy access to cameras, etc. You want a smaller cockpit opening if you're taking it out onto the Med. Make sure you get yourself a Kevlar instead of fibreglass as fibreglass cracks easily. Get yourself a good quality carbon fibre paddle - Bending Branches is a good make but not sure if they're available in Europe. If you need any help, just holler! *LOL*

9. Thankyou Christian for your kind words. I was very pleased when I saw it come up on the screen this morning. I never bother reviewing at the time as I just might miss another shot. I have a Pelican box for transporting the camera across shipping channels and choppy open water, and then a dry sac for quick stowing. A friend of mine dumped his kayak with three digi cameras NOT in a dry box... lost all of them ... bummer. My kayak is very very stable, not being a racing kayak.
    This new baby is NOT going for a swim if I can help it!

10. Well done Sandi!! :) :) :) :)

11. Stellar! You do that lens proud.

_/oe

12. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    500D? What 500D? :twisted:
    You folks don't listen to this poor, poor pitiful wuda me tale. I've met Sandi and she could backpack over the Rockies if she wanted to. In the dark. In December. In a blizzard.
    Oh! Great shots Sandi. I'm proud!
    Jarrell

13. Gee, Sandi, I'm trying to picture you and your gear in that Kayak. Would love to see a pic.

600 shot is a lot to take in any one shooting, never mind doing it from a kayak!

You are to be congratulated for this feat!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

14. Very nice images Sandi, lighting is especially good. I would be afraid to take my camera gear in a kayak so you are a lot braver than I.

15. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Wow, awesome shot! How the heck do you do that? I can't get a decent shot of a bird if my life depended on it.

Here's my birdie shot:
    [​IMG]

16. At the end of the day, after paddling for the first time in six months, and waving a heavy lens around all day (no tripods in kayaks LOL), that 29 lb Kevlar kayak felt like 99 lbs trying to get into the roofrack of the truck.
    Greg, speed is the main issue of catching good clear bird shots. Luckily the 70-200 is 2.8 so I just open it right up, and luckily the S3Pro can shoot at 800 or 1600ISO without a spec of noise, so combining those two, I can get some great speeds with this setup. That was my main reason for purchasing this camera, and these lenses. Wanted no noise camera and fast lenses to get the shots I want. Then tracking the bird in the viewfinder is not easy at all! You have to track the bird at the exact same speed as its' flight. I was waving that thing around all over the place. Tried to do a bunch of duck take-offs but was always hearing them too late to get a good focus. You can always count on something good happening right behind you when you're in a kayak, Mother Nature just works that way!! LOL
    Thanks Jarrell, I think you overestimate me. I am having a ball with this whole new setup. Have to get used to the fstop changes but all in all, loving it!

Gordon, sometimes in life, you just have to go way out on the skinny branches to see what's there. I got very comfortable in my kayak shooting last year with my Nikon 5700. Was out about 4 days per week. Kayaks are VERY stable as you're sitting your backside right down on the bottom, not twitchy like a canoe. I only take the camera once I'm set.... during channel crossings or choppy open water, it stays in the drybox which will float.
    I went around to all the rescue boats last summer and told them all that if they ever see me dumped into the water and hanging on for dear life, there's $500 cash to the first guy to fish me out, BUT he must bring a knife to cut the tethers to my drybox because that's what the reward is for!! *LOL* I was the most watched kayaker out there!! *LOL* Boaters here on Lake Ontario are a very polite lot, for the most part. They give you plenty of space and drop their wakes right down even in open water. All in all - the best moments of my life - on the water, shooting pics... ahhhhhhh. Well, going to be a beautiful spring day, better get back out there.