My first attempt at flowers

took these at the botanical garden in balboa park.

2900577359_940243221e_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2901420322_0a607854c9_o.jpg

yeah or nah?

thanks for looking

Did you do any PP? The composition is great. Try desaturating the color slightly and it will reveal a little more detail.

I agree with Kelly about the desatuartion, I'm all for punchy colours but I think these have been taken a bit too far...

Did you do any PP? The composition is great. Try desaturating the color slightly and it will reveal a little more detail.

Really??? Thanks for this info! Seriously, simple things like this never occur to me for some reason. I bet this has been my problem with some of my shots.

And now that you've stated this, I agree that it probably WOULD help bring out detail.
Oh man, I have a lot of PP work to do on some of my shots! Thanks!

YEAH! What lens did you use? I don't have a macro, but man, I'd love to get back into shooting flowers - used to do it with film 20+ yrs ago.

i used a 10.5 for these shots, its a pretty sharp lens

so i took the advice given a desaturated them a bit, i think they look better.

DSC_4429-copy.jpg

DSC_4432-copy.jpg

Chewbacca, YES! It's amazing. I have another camera that tends to way over saturate the reds and someone told me to desaturate one of my red rose pictures. It revealed all the veins in the petals and even the velvety texture quite a lot. It's one of my favorite tricks for bringing out detail.

Spoony, your PP makes them look more detailed. You still have great color, too.

May I suggest one more thing (or actually a few)? If you can, take the greens down considerably on the color balance. Better yet, if you have CS3 go to image, adjust, selective color, and bring the green down there and increase the red, magenta and black within the green. Select for blue and bring the magenta up a bit, select black and bring black up all the way, then select white and bring black up all the way. I think it will put the emphasis more on the flowers in the foreground and less on the yellow/green leaves in the background.

I hope you don't mind but I tried it on your first photo. I also put an unsharp mask of 200% on .02 pixels I've had to do this kind of thing a lot on my own photos. I don't always get the white balance right. :rolleyes:

2905709850_e107986735_o.png

Latest threads

Top Bottom