My first attempt at smoke art

Having just got my SB-600 and figured out how to use it off camera, I thought I'd have a crack at smoke art. Here's my results. They are not the best I've seen on this site but hey, I like them! :)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 89888

View attachment 89889

View attachment 89890

View attachment 89891

These are terrific, I really like the last two! How did you paint that second last one? I know you inverted it, but getting all the colours mixed together?

Thanks for your compliments. And Sandi, I use the lasoo tool in photoshop with a feather of around 50 pixels, draw shapes around the areas I want to change the colours of, and then adjust the hue and saturation. It takes literally seconds to do.

That's pretty cool.
Do you just get a dark background and flash, light cigarette or candle, and click away? Do you try to manipulate the smoke in any way?

Chris, I've read/heard that the best smoke comes from incense cones. Denser smoke. Make sure your room is relative stable as far as air movement.
I've been meaning to try these, but they're "on the list of things to do" and I'm working my way through it.

Mart61, thanks so much for sharing your technique. Generous of you.

Very interesting, one more thing to try. I used to see those colors in the 60's, no need for Photoshop then. Next off, rainy day I will try this.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom