1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

My First Attempt @ Night BB

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Aqualung, Jun 15, 2007.

1. My daughter's high school is the defending Div I baseball champs. The other night they were playing East Longmeadow in the Regional playoff....I decided to try my hand at shooting night baseball; have never done it as my son had stopped playing several years ago before I got back into shooting.

As others know, it's pretty tough. This was on a city field, where a college plays, so the lighting was marginally better than a high school. Finals are Saturday night, at a minor league park, so the lighting *should* be better.

Used my only long lens, the 70-200. Obviously, the TC wasn't even viable. For the third base shots, I pre-focused on the bag, but I think that might not have been the right idea given the focal length.

All C&C welcome...Neat Image PP used @ 45%

f2.8, ISO 800, 1/400, 200mm FL
    thawks-04.

Sliding into 3rd...
    f2.8, ISO 1250, 1/200, 200mm FL
    thawks-05.

Safe!
    f2.8, ISO 1250, 1/200, 200mm FL
    thawks-06.

But this one's out by a mile...
    f2.8, ISO 1250, 1/200, 180mm FL
    thawks-10.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  2. Actually, you took some very nice shots Chris. Did you take them in RAW, or as JPEG's? If the former, you may be able to boost their exposure a bit without deteriorating quality too much.

Lighting is a bear...even a decent field will have marginal lighting unless you are at a professional stadium...so your best shots may be upcoming. And with these light and speed conditions, depth of field is iffy and one subject or another is always likely to be out of focus at least in their extremities. I've tried both zone focusing and autofocus...and neither is totally satisfactory. Also when using autofocus, only single point will focus on a subject "behind" another...and with all the action maintaining that focus can be very difficult.

You are off to a better start than I am/was...keep it going.

3. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    ISO 1250 on a D200 like that? Only the first one has that noise look...but all are great action shots. You have done well.

These are great shots Chris. Love the sequence as well.

4. thanks Harry...I was taking .jpgs, I rarely take RAW, I should probably switch, tho'. Yes, I tend to stay w/ single zone autofocus.

Thanks GBRandy, yeah, the lighting was a bit stronger over at 3rd, so I think that helped....

cheers!

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice
    Love SAFE

6. Thanks Gale...they lost 3-2 last night:frown:

didn't go to the game tho', had other plans...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.